hardland

How to tell if last years seeds are OK?

I just looked thru this page and couldn't find info on testing old seeds. I seem to remember something about putting seeds in a moist paper towel for a few days to see if they react? Any link or info would be great. Thanks

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Yup, just as you posted it. Moisten a paper towel sprinkle some seeds into (onto?) it and place it in a zip lock bag. Leave it out on the counter and check every other day.

imafan26
Mod

Seed viability depends a lot on how they are stored. Seeds need to be stored in a cool dry place. Heat and moisture can cause them to become moldy or lose viability.

The refrigerator is best in sealed bags. The same goes for buying seeds. Buy seeds either directly from the company to make sure the seeds are fresh, save seeds.

I don't buy seeds from one Walmart because the seeds are kept on a rack in the open air nursery next to the nursery benches which means they are exposed to moisture from watering and changing temperatures. I prefer to go about 7 miles away to a different Walmart that always keeps their seed racks inside the air conditioned store next to the hand tools.

Different seeds have different shelf lives. Many are good for 3 years or more while others have very short life spans. Germination rate also drops over the years, so even if seed sprout years later, you will likely have to use more seed because the percentage of seeds that germinate will decrease. Sometimes seed viability varies with cultivar.

These are some of my results:
Dill (13 yrs), beans (9 yrs), lettuce (3 yrs and counting), most squash and cucumber (3 years), zucchini (1-2 yrs), watermelon (3 yrs), flower seeds (3 yrs), parsley (3 yrs), eggplant (3 yrs), corn (2 yrs), carrots (4 yrs)

I tested seeds earlier this year since I had to cull my burgeoning store. I was surprised how many seeds from 2005 are still viable. Virtually none of the 1998 seeds are viable. Zucchini has been one set of seeds that I have not had much luck keeping from year to year, as the germination rate drops sharply, but crookneck squash seeds will last a couple of years.

Seeds packed in foil from Park seed lasted the longest. So, seed viability can often depend on packaging as well.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/garden ... seeds-last

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”