evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Basil seeds go white and gooey

I have a packet of basil seeds that when I try to germinate develop a gooey white layer very quickly. I mean in less than a minute quickly. It is just to quick ad even to be fungus, I think. But then what is it? Oh and they don't germinate.

applestar
Mod

Basil seeds do that when they get any moisture on them. So do chia and flax seeds. It's completely normal.

I once thought there were some kind of miniature frog eggs on my herbs, not realizing I accidentally spilled basil seeds on leaves that were still wet with dew.

Those seeds look much too close together, and not quite moist enough. Separate the seeds with forceps -- they do better when individually placed at minimum 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart. They ARE much easier to handle when dry however. I cover with a thin layer of dry sand/coir mix just enough to cover them and then press into the pre moistened soil mix for good contact and spray down with water. Bottom water afterwards as necessary.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Oh good. I am relieved!

This is for microherbs. I will cut them before space becomes an issue.

They haven't germinated though - anything they need or should I just wait? I had just watered them before this picture so they were wet. I could cover them but I hate getting dirt in my microherbs. The mustard germinates so well on top of the soil.

applestar
Mod

I would say basil takes a day or two longer to sprout than mustard seeds. Are you using a "growing blanket" to keep them moist? Are you keeping them in the dark? (I think I always covered basil seeds....)

Never thought of growing basil for micro. I might have to try that. 8)

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Haha, I definitely don't have growing blankets. They are inside a plastic container with a lid though and they are moist. Also the whole container was on top of my fridge and it's pretty dark. I guess I had better cover them with soil.

Basil makes excellent microherbs. Along with mustard, lettuce, broccoli, parsley, celery, coriander, sesame, onions, chives, alfalfa, sunflower, radish, amaranth, mint, sorrel etc.

Just experiment; I recently gave my brother lavender and some of the above for a gift.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

microherbs is like sprouts?

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:microherbs is like sprouts?
Hi. They are like the next stage after sprouts. They are the first foliage leaves of the new plant where sprouts are just the radicle and cotyledon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microgreen

I found this image Image and I thought this looks like a great idea. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any detail on how to do it.

applestar
Mod

Not sure what that growing medium is. Some people use vermiculite. I like sand because all the sand sinks when you wash.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

They look like paper mache pots with something inside. I might try river sand for that reason. Not a bad idea. It's also easier to sterilise.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”