brinboise

Spinach bolting

I started some spinach in new plastic growing containers with jiffy mix 2/3 weeks ago and set them on my heating mat-they popped up nicely-then transferred to grow lights with 2-3" of clearance. They are growing very healthy, about 2" tall....but now are starting to bolt :?
Whats up with that? Any help appreciated

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Too much heat. Spinach is a cold weather crop that starts to bolt as soon as it get hot.

I don't start spinach indoors (though I do a ton of other stuff). I just plant spinach seed directly in the ground as soon as the ground can be worked, usually about a month earlier than the average last frost date.

My in the ground spinach that was fall planted and over-wintered, is already starting to bolt, since it is 80 degrees today.

If I were going to start spinach indoors, I wouldn't use a heat mat for it. That's for stuff that likes warm weather.

I don't know where you are or how hot it is already for you. To try to save your spinach, I would cut all the tops off it, then get them outside to harden off ASAP. Get them in the ground in a partly shaded spot as soon as you can.

brinboise

thanks for the reply....too warm seems a likely problem :idea: ....I can't start outside as most of my garden soil is 45* and I think that might be too cold for quicker germination. I'll start some again and transfer to the cold frame as soon as they come up. Thanks again

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”