pointer80

have a question on hardening off tomatoes

Ok, I posted one question on hardening off plants now I have a question on tomatoes. It is supposed to be in the 70's during the day and 50's at night finally, I want to start hardening off my tomatoes. I have a garage and my question is can I put them outside during the day (starting with shade and then semi shade then sun) and leave them in the garage at night, as long as the temps stay in the 50's or so or do I have to move them in under the lights again? Also the same question for my peppers when the temps at night gets a little warmer. Also can I leave them in the garage under lights if I cover them with a sheet or something? Thank you for the info.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

70's in the day and 50's at night is warm enough for the tomatoes AND the peppers. Bring them out and start getting them used to it. And I agree, don't keep bringing them back in or back under the lights. Just start them in a very protected spot and gradually move them to less protection.

pointer80

Thanks for the replys. how many hours should I put them out in the shade each day and how many days should I do that until I move them to partial shade and then full sun. Thanks for the patience you all have for us novice gardeners :)

pointer80

I also forgot to ask would it be ok to leave them in the garage with a sheet or a box over them if the temps. drop down in the mid to upper 40's?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Some people would be more gentle, but personally in the temps you mentioned, as long as it isn't windy, raining hard, etc, I would just plop them in the shade and leave them there. After a couple days in shade (dappled or part shade with a couple hrs morning sun, not dense all day shade), move them to a part sun area. With maybe three days of that as long as they are still looking good, move them to mostly sun. But watch them closely and keep them well watered. If they start looking wilty or burned, slow the process down.

Yes you could keep them in the garage with temps in mid 40's. After they are used to that, they wouldn't even have to go to the garage. You want to toughen them up.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”