pointer80

how much light do my plants need now?

Hi everyone, Well my veggie plants are looking very good. I planted them about the 27th of march and the tallest ones which are the tomatoes are about 10-12 inches with the red solo cup they are planted in. My question is do they need the light 2 inches above the plants still? I have tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, watermelon, and cantaloupe. Also can I take any of these and start putting them in my garage to start hardening them off without bringing them back into the basement again? Thanks all for the info.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE: I have tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, watermelon, and cantaloupe.

Your cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts could probably have been in the ground by now, if hardened off. They are very cold hardy and frost tolerant. I usually plant mine in the ground about a month BEFORE my last frost date. They don't like hot weather.

The watermelon and cantaloupe are the tenderest. The tomatoes can go out to harden off if night time temps are staying above 45 and the peppers if the night time temps are staying above 50. Even before that they can go out for daytime if you are having sunny warm days, but would have to be brought back in at night.

As long as they are still under lights, they still need the lights close.

pointer80

Thanks rainbowgardener, I know I screwed up with the cold weather plants. This is our first time growing our own and got a late start with them. I put them in the garage today to start hardening them off and will plant them asap. I just hope my tomatoes and peppers do not get too root bound before I can plant them in the garden. I have about 4 weeks to go. Thanks again for all the help.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”