hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Re: final pot size- growing in pots

Thanks!

As far as seed starting, I rarely add any fertilizer, though most of the time use commercial seed starter. That takes very little soil for me as our plants are started in 2 inch community pots with five seeds in each pot. At the first true leaves, when the plants are up potted to individual pots, they are placed in my potting soil mix described above, though not generally with the lime until the plants reach one gallon sized pots. I've seldom have a problem with the rate of growth of the young seedlings except when weather related.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

BTW, as you know STA-Green has about 4 months worth of slow release fertilizer. If mixing my own soil or when recycling season old potting soil, I always add a small amount of cheap fertilizer to give an initial boost, probably a half cup per 3-4 cubic foot wheel barrow. At the same time a good amount of slow release is added as well, probably another half cup. Also another pint of organic fertilizer is added.

This method is not very precise. My aim is to give a season's worth of nutrients, but to hold the amount added down to a fairly low level, especially for the chemical fertilizers. For heavy feeders, as mentioned above, a second application of slow release is given sometime mid season to late season.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”