pointer80

opinion on tomato seedlings

Just want some opinion on my tomato seedlings as this is my first time raising seedlings. just want to be sure they are not too leggie. Thanks all
IMGP1088 (480x640).jpg
IMGP1089 (640x480).jpg
Attachments
IMGP1087 (640x480).jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking pretty good. What you want is like your bottom right hand one in the bottom picture. The left hand one in the middle picture is looking a bit spindly. I have that trouble too. If one gets a head start for some reason, then it can start shading the slower one out, so then you end up with some nice, big, sturdy plants and some that are more stunted.

I just keep taking the big ones out to harden off as quickly as I can, leaving the smaller ones behind under the lights to catch up now that they are not shaded.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The plants look pretty good. A little leggy is o.k. because you will want to bury a good bit of stem at planting time anyway. Your plants look extremely tender. There are a couple of things that you can do to help them turn into greener, more stocky plants. One is to turn a fan on them so that they get a gentle breeze. That will help them to develop tougher outer layers that will protect the plants from the elements when moved outside. The other thing, and IMO most important thing, is to get the plants outside anytime that the temperature is over sixty degrees. These plants are so tender that you will want to shelter them from all but the mildest breeze, and for a week or so, the plants should only get filtered sunlight or a couple hours of morning sunlight, gradually increasing the exposure over the first week to ten days.

pointer80

Thanks all, I just now started blowing a fan on them. I think right now that is my only option as the temps are only getting in the low 60's once in a great while so far. It has been in the 40's and 50's :cry: I will not even think about planting them in the garden til at least memorial day so I should have time to harden them off before then. Can I move some of the bigger plants out from under the lights for a little bit each day to give the little ones a chance to grow and catch up? Or should I just keep rotating them under the lights? They all seem like they are getting adequate light though.

applestar
Mod

I put my tomato seedlings outside when it's rising above 48°F and sunny. My tomatoes have been kept in the unheated garage and it has fallen to mid-40's on occasion (I think they can handle that at night but need to warm up to at least 60's during the day)

But in the sun, it's a lot warmer -- when its 50's its at least 70's and I keep the remote sensors for the wireless thermometer where I put them so I can monitor the temp they are experiencing. Start them in the shade on days that are warmer, then you can put them out in the sun on days that are colder.

I like using translucent storage tubs to protect seedlings at first. Locking lids or bungee cords are useful for windy conditions. Be careful of overheating with lids on in direct sun (put a thermometer inside).

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”