LA47
Green Thumb

hardening off question

I decided to start hardening off my plants but now I'm concerned that it is only 45 degrees. Is this too cold? I intend for them to stay out about an hour.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Depends greatly on what plants. Any cold weather stuff, broccoli, cabbage, etc will be fine. And for them I would be a little braver and leave them out for a few hours, just not in direct sun the first time.

Tomatoes can handle it. Not peppers or other tropicals.

LA47
Green Thumb

Thanks for answering so quickly. That saved my plants! I moved them in the shade and left them a couple of hours more and was panicked when I looked at them! the outer leaves were wilty on the tomatoes and zinnia. I thought I had lost them! This morning they look fine. Thank Goodness! I think I'll be a little more cautious now and wait until it is up to 50 degrees at least! It's suppose to start warming up a little now. Not the night temps. It was 16 degrees this 6:00 AM but is suppose to warm up into the 50's during the day. What should the night temps be to plant my broccoli in the garden???

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Sometimes when the cold weather persists and I need to get the plants outside, I'll put them outside in clear sweater boxes, in a sunny location. If the plants are larger then I'll put them out in the portable cold frame, but will place a 100 watt bulb inside the space, to help bring the temperature up to nearer 70 degrees.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”