pointer80

just transplanting seedling and need some advice (Pics inc.)

Hi everyone, Sorry I haven't posted in a while but the weather is finally breaking and been busy. I started transplanting some of my veggies and I might run out of room under the four 4' shop lights I have set up. I have included pics of the lights and I was wondering if I can spread the lights apart more and put the trays the opposite way that they are in the pics so I can fit four trays instead of two? Or is there another way without buying more lights? I want to save some lighting to start more seedlings like cucumbers, cantaloupe etc. Thanks everyone.
IMGP1052 (640x480).jpg
IMGP1056 (640x480).jpg
IMGP1055 (640x480).jpg

pointer80

here are a couple more pics
IMGP1054 (640x480).jpg
IMGP1054 (640x480).jpg
IMGP1057 (640x480).jpg

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings, I think you can. You might want to rotate the trays if some plants seem to lean and you can tilt your lights inward, using foil to reflect light can help.

Let us hear.

applestar
Mod

I agree. Spread them a little bit wider and you can arrange them perpendicular like you said.

Also line the counter surface with reflective material (I use inside of chip bags)

Cover the sides and ends somehow. In one set up, I have a mirror on the rear wall. One the front-side, I use a mylar covered windshield sun blocker for a two-level shelves that can be accordion opened for access/closed in one set up. Where appearance is not an issue, I lean white cardboard boxes for another, inside of chip bag covered cardboard, aluminum lasagna pan cover, white plastic handled cake bag.... Anything free I can get my hands on. Minimize any light escaping from the interior.

Oh, another location uses white plastic boards. Presentation foamboard was another item I was thinking about using at one time.

pointer80

Thanks for the input. I also was wondering about the holes in the cups for bottom watering, I put five 1/4 inch holes in the bottom of each cup. When I checked them before work they still seamed a little dry. I put water in the tray about a 1/4 inch up the cups. Do you think this is enough? Thanks again.

applestar
Mod

When I first uppot, I soak each in a pint size tub of water so the water is at least 1/3 of the way up the container for faster absorption. After that I generally bottom water in the tray.

When you use cups that don't sit straight when crowded in the tray, you may need to add more water to the tray. It's a pain, but it's also a good idea to move them around so the ones that sit straight and the ones that are leaning take turns, and really keep an eye on them and "heft test" for ones that are not getting watered enough.

I think the number of holes are enough -- did you put all the holes in the flat-to-the-bottom ring or were some of them in the raised center part that won't touch the bottom?

This year, I realized after watching some blogs (Wintersown is one of them, I have to look up the other but it was a soil blocking blog) that drainage doesnt have to be from circular holes. I have been using a box cutter to make slits on the bottom and sides of the cups and cut-off bottles (slits on the sides go at least 1/2 way up -- for better aeration of the root zone and this prevents circling of the roots according to one blog source).

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

It looks like you are using a 1020 tray. That tray has an accordion bottom and therefore should have no problem getting the water into the holes.

In my solo cups I melt a 1" long hole with a screw driver at 3,6,9, and 12 oclock up about 1/4" on the sides and a single hole in the middle of the bottom. This works very well for watering.

I am interested in your findings on cutting 1/2 way up the cup to control root circling.

Lighting shouldn't be a problem if you widen them and place some reflective stuff between the lights. As was stated if you have extreme bending or leggy plants rotate them to the spots directly under the tray.

I light my 1020 trays with 1 double fluorescent light ran down the middle. effectively 1/2 the light you have, however when the plants get bigger I put them outside or under the double light set up just like you have set up.

Try it and see Can't be worse than not growing anything at all

pointer80

Thanks everyone for the input. I have the wholes in the bottom and I put four slits in the sides of the cups close to the bottom. I will also try some holes in the sides of the cups about a quarter inch up from the bottom with my next transplant. I agree with you indy any plants growing are better than none growing.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”