cuttingedge

When to start Seeds?

Last year was my first year starting seeds indoors and it was a total disaster. I lost almost everything and in the end had to direct sow everything.
I would like to get going with the starts again but am confused about timing on certain vegetables.

I would appreciate it anyone could lend me some advice as to when I should be starting Tomatoes, Peppers and possibly Cucumbers inside? I would also like to know about when they should be going in the ground.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Jason

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

For a novice, it probably would make sense to wait and plant tomato seeds or pepper seeds up to two weeks before you expect 60 degree or warmer day time temperatures. That way, after germinating, the seedlings can be placed outside in the direct sunlight where they will form stronger, healthier transplants. Cucumber plants get large pretty quickly, so would wait until six weeks before the last frost date. For those I would recommend planting in 1 gallon nursery pots, 2 seeds to the pot.

Remember, the quicker that you get the plants outside into natural sunlight the better. An unheated cold frame is a great aid in this, but you could easily improvise something. Colder than the mid 50s will not work. For me, pepper seeds are very slow to germinate, perhaps pre soak the seeds for a few hours and place the starting pots in a warm location of 70-80 degrees. Perhaps put the plants in a moisture and heat conserving bag or clear plastic container. Bring any plants inside if the night time lows drop much below 45 degrees.

I put my first cucumber transplant in the ground yesterday as the long range weather forecast appears to be frost free beyond our normal frost free date of around April 21 st. Will wait about a week, and if the long range forecast still looks good, will put out a few more tender veggie transplants.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Everyone has to figure out what works for them.

NNJ = Northern New Jersey? If so, you are probably in a somewhat similar climate to me. I'm thinking it is pretty late for you to start peppers from seed. I planted mine the first of Feb. They are a little slow germinating and slow getting started. I now have good sized pepper plants getting hardened off. For this year, once everything has warmed up, you could buy some well started pepper plants at your local nursery.

A lot of figuring this out revolves around your average last frost date, which you can search for on-line.

Tomatoes you are a little bit behind on, but if you want to do them you still could. They are quicker to germinate, quicker to grow, and quicker to start producing than peppers are. But definitely start them right away.

Cukes you are doing fine. They can be direct seeded in the ground, once the soil has warmed up to at least 70 degrees F. But if you want to start them indoors, you can. Since they are the warmest of warm weather crops, I usually plant mine indoors no earlier than the week before the average last frost date, so that the soil will have some time to warm up, before they are ready to go in the ground.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”