pointer80

a couple of pics of my seedlings and some questions

IMGP1044 (640x480).jpg
IMGP1046 (640x480).jpg
IMGP1045 (640x480).jpg
Hi everyone, Here are some pics of my seedlings that are about 11 days old. I planted 2 seeds in each cell. I have a question on thinning my seedlings. Should I start thinning down to one seedling per cell or should I wait for a while longer? Thanks everyone in advance.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I have a tendency to wait to long to split my seedlings. They end up with to much root structure to just pull them out. I have to swish them in a bucket of water to wash the dirt off and lubricate the roots to get them apart. Then I will plant in separate pots. It works well for me, but would be easier if I did it sooner. :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, they have true leaves and they are crowded. Time to either cull or separate them.

Looking good so far! :)

pointer80

Thanks all for answering my questions. I was also wondering when should I transplant the tomatoes to a bigger pot and what kind of potting mix should I use? Also what is the best choice for pot's? Thanks everyone for the advice.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I up pot when the plant roots come out of the pot holes in the bottom. For soil I make about 12 gallons of soil at a time I use 1 cubic foot of potting soil with 5 gal of Coir and about 1 gal of perlite then misc nutes bone meal, Azos, Fish..

What you want is a good nute rich soil that is light and easy to root through

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

About now or soon is when to pot them up! :)

I put them in to 3" pots and leave them in those until they go in the ground.

You can use any commercial potting soil.

This year I am making my own potting soil, which is 2 parts mushroom compost, 2 parts coconut coir (a more sustainable alternative to peat moss) and 1 part perlite, with a little alfalfa meal added.

Every time you transplant them, remember to bury them deeper than they were before. Tomatoes will send out roots all along the buried stems, so that helps increase their root systems.

pointer80

Thanks all, you are all a wealth of knowlege for a newbie.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”