dtlove129

Running out of room, ideas?

Okay, I started too much and too early and now everything is getting too big. I have about 72 creeping thyme I need to transplant (I grew these for some landscaping in my yard...filler between pavers). My set up is already full with tomatoes, peppers, celery, etc. My set up also sits in front of a huge window that faces east.

Question since this creeping thyme is 1.5 months old, do you think I can transplant it and not have it under the lights and just let the window do the work for me? I'm hoping that here in the next 2 weeks I can start moving things out to harden off. We just got a 1 foot snow, but I'm thinking that Spring will be right around the corner now.
John
2nd year gardner

pow wow

Hello dtlove129,
Your creeping thyme will survive a few weeks with just window light. Pretty tough plants. We can dip to -35 celsius in winters. I have some in a flower bed and they will die off in places but they sprout out new and keep on going.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I would say it should be fine, and if you can try a cold frame. we got that snow too. It is all melting off and I am thinking about constructing a cold frame myself this weekend. However it is easter and I think I will be ordered into something else preparing for the festivities......

The sun is getting longer and should support plant life in windows now.

applestar
Mod

What is the temp like there? Can you put them outside in the sun during the day? (gradually at first of course) I think they would be OK above freezing (upper 30's and above) and it will be even warmer in the sun.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I'm having the same trouble, spring warm up is being s l o w to come.

But the thyme is cold hardy to zone 4, so yes definitely get it out from under the lights and start hardening it off.

I have 6 trays of cabbage, broccoli, celery that I am STILL bringing in and out (but NOT for much longer, I think tomorrow they go out for good after coming back in one more time tonight). Tomorrow I will put the alyssum out with them and maybe something else (bunny tail grass? marigolds? I will have to think about what is the next hardiest).
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

Half of my tomatoes are outside right now -- 50° official temp, 72°F in the sun last time I looked. 8) I'm about to go drag some of my avocados and citrus out there, though it's a pain to bring everybody back inside later (I need sliding glass doors in every room.... :P )

applestar
Mod

I have been telling myself "half" all day, but I did a quick re-count and 42 is actually less than 1/3 of the total.... :shock:
All safely back inside for the night, though some two dozen+ are relegated to the garage (gets down to 40's during the night).

FriedGreenTomatoes
Cool Member

I had mentioned in a post that the house I just bought had thyme growing all over the front lawn and I didn't know why. It must be the same kind as you grew, because it grows along the walkway.

Yesterday it was warm and sunny out. So to get my little man out of the house for a bit, I decided to rake the front lawn so I had some stuff to add to my compost. I saw that the thyme has started growing already and was looking good.

My guess would be that as long as the ground was workable, you might be able to put it out now. Maybe cover it if it gets too cold, but you might be able to get away with it. Or even put half of it out and that would free up some space.
Grow with your garden!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Re: Running out of room, ideas?

A coldframe is the answer but I suggest digging a foot deep lets say 4 by 12 area and making a few 4by 6 frames of wood and wrap a layer of 4 mill plastic around it to make a double plastic cover and you are set! throw a few bricks around the inside to hold heat and it can go down to 20 and things willstill be safe. The double plastic is important! when the sun is out open it a crack so it does not get too hot! if the nights are above freezing leave the crack open!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Return to “Seed Starting Forum”