Gorkys
Newly Registered

When to take Jiffy dome off and heating pad.

I started several different types of vegetables and herbs each in their own 6 cell sets. Heating pad is provided for bottom heat. Was just wondering when would be a good time to take the plants out from under the dome and heating pad.

The tomatoes are some of the earliest sprouts out of all my plants. About 11 of 18 tomato seeds germinated in 3 days. I figure once my plants get to 50% or so germination to take take them out from under the dome/heat. What do you guys suggest?

Are plants considered fully germinated if they still don't have their seed leaves? because the 11 tomato sprouts all happened overnight but none have seed leaves as of now. They haven't really fully popped up from the soil as of yet

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I have the dome thing ajar, if used, and take away when see signs of germination. You need some real air for them! I don't use a heating pad.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I use heat mats, but don't use domes. :) If I were using domes, I would take them off as soon as the first things germinated - which to me would mean have their seed leaves above the ground. Usually that is only a matter of hours (like maybe 12 or so) after they show themselves at all.

I usually leave them on the heat mat until they have true leaves.

Gorkys
Newly Registered

I pulled the tomatoes out of the dome and heating pad last night. A little more than half germinated, with no seed leaves yet. I sowed the seeds on the 22nd. I wonder if I might have pulled them off too early? Will the others still germinate without the dome and heat?

Also in my lemon balm 6 cell container I only have one that sprouted last night and same with spearmint only one sprout out of the total 6 cells. Each cell has 3 seeds sowed. Would it be alright to leave these under the dome and heat until more begin to germinate?

Thanks for the help so far everyone! This is my second year gardening but first year starting from seed.

applestar
Mod

I would take the dome off of the tomatoes but leave them on the heating pad. The dome typically keeps you from lowering the lights to a few inches above the soil level to provide good strong light for the sprouting seedlings.

Keep an eye on the unsprouted cells and make sure the surface doesn't dry out without the dome to maintain humidity. I mist until good and damp every morning as well as watering from below. Laying food wrap on the surface works too but you have to peek under the wrap every morning and night.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”