IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

1 Tbsp hydrogen peroxide and 1 qt water mixture. Spray surface. Problem solved

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I am a little confused about hydrogen peroxide. Diluted properly with water, it is supposed to be of benefit to plants.

If the "green mold" is not mold but algae, and therefore green plants, would hydrogen peroxide kill or limit the algae?

Algae shows up at times on the soil surface in pots in the greenhouse. I just sprinkle a little potting soil over it and that works well enough to suppress it.

Steve

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Don't know, I have had green mold on my soil and treated it with hydrogen peroxide. It cleared up. I have also had it on my seeds and with no problems it was destroyed

applestar
Mod

When you sprayed, were the seedlings already up?

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I spray when I start the seeds, after they have small sprouts, when they just start in the dirt, and when they are growing. No problem in any stage.

applestar
Mod

OK, Thanks! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have used hydrogen peroxide, sprayed straight from the bottle as an anti-fungal to treat powdery mildew. It kills the mildew and does not harm the plants.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Let us know how it works. I notice the changes about day 2

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

If I don't see a change from spraying I will add some dry time after I spray again. If it is organic and not mold then this process will not work.

sometimes I even add some dry dirt to the top. .

Here is the growth I have. If you look close there is some orange stuff

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I am trying out the Praxxus method of pruning peppers. If you cit off the top 2/3 of a pepper plant after the plant reaches 12" it should sprout new growth out the remainder of the stalk in at least 2 spots. and after those shoots get bigger cut them down, and they will sprout 2 more and so on and so fourth till your pepper monster is balanced and big enough to make you happy. Praxxus on youtube has a trinidad pepper plant like 4' tall and 3.5' in diameter. AMAZING.

That pepper plant was started from seed 1/30/2013

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... hp?t=51107 here is my grow room set-up

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... hp?t=51034 here is my greenhouse. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will start another thread for the pruning portion

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I expect that pruning style is most useful if you are going to treat your pepper plant as a perennial and try to over-winter it. I imagine the huge plant is several years old. If you are just growing it for one season as an annual, the way us northerners typically do, I suspect you are just slowing down when you are going to get any peppers.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Yes I am planning on bringing my plant in over winter.

However the HUGE plant I refer to is only 1 year old. He is starting an experiment with 2 identical plants 1 normal growth and 1 pruned growth. He is testing for single year growth and production. From his description this method helps even during year 1.

Personally I do not plan on getting peppers off this plant this year. I am going to use this method of cutting and bushing all my pepper plants and just stop when it is time for them to start producing. but in 1 month I have gone from seed to pepper plants with a 1/4" diameter stalk and is making branches off of that.

here is his video so you can see what I am talking about. It is a 3 part series over a year to get to the end product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XmfoASl_Lg

Look around the 3 minute mark

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”