ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Proud Mother

I got all enthused about planting from seed - thanks to all of you. I ordered new tomato varieties and planted indoors in January. Unfortunately with all of the commotion from G's knee replacement surgery I lost my starts. Replanted Saturday last week. Crazy weather. I set my flat out in the warm sun in the mornings and brought them in at night. As of this AM I have 100% germination. 4 varieties - 5 starts each. Will only plant 2 of each but really want to share with my Mom and sisters. I showed off my babies to G and he said "Wow Babe - they look so fragile. It is hard to believe that they will soon produce and support fruit"

I thank you all for getting me back to the basics of planting from seed. It really is a thrill to watch the process.

I do hard wood progation - no problem. Getting back to starting from seed makes me giddy. :oops: Sorry. I know that is old hat for many of you. I am enjoying the process and thank you all daily. Now if I can just keep them going for another 4 to 6 weeks.

Had to laugh. While cleaning out last years herb pots I found a couple each of volunteer basil and dill plants. I gently transplanted them into starter pots. Last night my 18 month old boootiful kitty Sallie Sue followed me into the bathroom where my flats are. She sniffed every pot. When she got to the baby dill she very gently pulled it out of the pot with her teeth and looked at me as if to say "See Mom - I found a weed and took it out for you" I really could not be angry with her because her look was too priceless for words.

Again thank you all so much for your inspiration, advice and laughs. You really are the best.

Cola82
Green Thumb

I agree that seedlings are super cool--I can't stop staring at them basically every time I get up from my desk. I'm glad it's going so well for you! :)

Jardin du Fort

ElizabethB wrote:I do hard wood progation - no problem. Getting back to starting from seed makes me giddy. :oops: Sorry. I know that is old hat for many of you. I am enjoying the process and thank you all daily. Now if I can just keep them going for another 4 to 6 weeks.
Well now, that's something I'd like to learn. The hard wood propagation, that is. It's not rocket science, I'm sure, but I have never even remotely had any success with cuttings. Perchance there is already a forum topic on the matter. I'll have to do a search..... :wink:

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Jardin du Fort wrote: Well now, that's something I'd like to learn. The hard wood propagation, that is. It's not rocket science, I'm sure, but I have never even remotely had any success with cuttings. Perchance there is already a forum topic on the matter. I'll have to do a search..... :wink:
ME TOO!!!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hard wood propogation is so simple and easy. I do not want to bore the rest of the forum with details but if you want them PM me. LOTS of success with hard wood propagation.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”