Gardener123
Green Thumb

Germination / Growth Success Rate?

What percentage of your seeds germinate? And assuming you get rid of the weak ones, what percent go on to grow and produce well?

I have taken much of what I read here this past month to heart. I'm trying to do a better job with growing from seeds. About 75% of what I am starting from seed are heirlooms, which I have read, are harder to grow successfully. The other seeds are super hot peppers, among the hottest few in the world.

I have never grown peppers from seed before. I have no idea what to expect.

I'm not growing a ton of stuff.... I want to make sure that what I do grow has a chance to do well. If I do well this year, I will grow a lot more next year.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

never really noticed any difference in germinating heirlooms vs. hybrids.

heirlooms do tend to be more susceptible to viral and bacterial blights / wilts / etc - that's (one) reason hybrids were developed - I.e. better disease resistance....

using fresh seed, I see all but 100% germination. but then I'll keep any leftover seed 2-3 years - I have seen a decline in germination rates on old seed.

>>do well
this is going to be a mixed bag.
first, is the particular crop/variety suited to your climate
then suited to you specific micro climate / amount of sun etc
and then there's the 'how's the dirt?"" issue
after you've got a handle on all that....
one year a specific variety may do spectacular and then flop big time next year. that's "weather"

not too many iron clad rules & guarantees available . . .

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I am getting about 75% germination from my super hots. and then I plant the germinated ones. Of those I have prob had a 75% success rate to get to a real plant.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

What is with the bag? Is it just a moist place to germinate and then get planted?

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Coffee filter and baggie with water sprayed on it. All sort of youtube videos about it

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Thank you.

imafan26
Mod

seed germination is also dependent on a variety of factors
1. age of the seeds. The older seeds get, germination decreases
2. Seed storage. Storage temperature and moisture
3. Type of seeds some seeds have very good germination rates and other
seeds normally have only 10-15% germination rates, so you need a lot
of seed
4. growing media/light. Some seeds need darkness to germinate, most
need to have light to germinate.
Media needs to be well drained. Too wet and seeds will rot before they
germinate. Some plants like different levels of acidity or alkalinity.
5. Some seeds germinate better if they are scarified or soaked first
6. Those darn birds will pick the seeds out of the pots and eat them. So
will rats.
7. Germination temperature. Many seeds need to reach a minimum
temperature before they germinate or break dormancy.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

imafan said it well. But if you are specifically thinking about peppers, they generally have a good germination rate in warm soil. They need about 75 - 80 degrees (soil temp, not air temp). On my heat mats they do well.

applestar
Mod

Very often, I see best germination rate from home saved seeds by fellow gardeners. Maybe because they are very fresh. Another possible reason is that we probably save seeds from the biggest and the best looking fruits and often also best tasting -- I.e. Fruits that were developed when the plants were most vigorous. These are heirloom and OP seeds since seeds from commercial hybrids (F1's) are usualy not saved.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:imafan said it well. But if you are specifically thinking about peppers, they generally have a good germination rate in warm soil. They need about 75 - 80 degrees (soil temp, not air temp). On my heat mats they do well.
Well, I was thinking in general.... I did watch the youtube video on the bag so I plan to try that too.... One of our forum members sent me a boat load of pepper seeds, though, so I plan to give it a shot...

I only have so much room before my wife will freak out, LOL.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I am just on the cusp of not having enough power on the circuit to have everything going. I tried to add another heater to my greenhouse and popped the breaker. When I vaccuum I have to unplug the greenhouse because it will pop it every time... My wife may still freak out when she sees the electric bill.. Oh well when it comes in it will be warm out and I will be done with the heating.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Incidentally, re the second half of your question: Germination rate varies with what you are planting, conditions, etc. Once the seeds are sprouted, I rarely lose any, except what I deliberately cull, if I have too many. The only part where I still sometimes lose seedlings is in the hardening off. Somehow even though I know better, I still sometimes get impatient/ careless, leave things out when they should come back in. But otherwise, the seedlings once started should do fine.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”