IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

2 sets of leaves from seed head?

Almost all of my trinidad scorpion pepper plants have sprouted with 4 leaves even before it has shucked the seed head off. is this normal? I just thought it was cool and needed discussed. I don't know if anyone can tell, but I am proud of my growing operation this year!

shadylane
Green Thumb

It happends if it is a bother gently remove it...it will all off any way in given time

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Shady was talking about removing the left over seed head.

I had one plant this year that opened up with four cotyledons. I've occasionally had them with three. I've never seen a bunch of them that way.

The one with four cotyledons, I eventually ended up culling, since it seemed to be growing slower than its "littermates."

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I have made the mistake of removing the seed head myself. I end up doing more damage to the plant than just letting it do it's thing. I have trained myself to just leave it. but I have never seen this before.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Alittle saliva helps the seedling remove the tough stuck ones- all that yummy enzyme softens the seed coat.
Spraying works too, but not nice getting the whole seedling wet or forcing it off :wink:

I guess you can call it quad- cot :D

Cola82
Green Thumb

Hm, I got one tomato with three cotyledons and one with only one and they're both doing fine (well, about as well as any of them).

I agree about the saliva on the seed husk--given a few applications and a couple days it works fine. I pulled a couple off early on and killed one seedling doing it, so it's definitely better to be patient.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”