Cola82
Green Thumb

Seedlings turning into snipped stalks?

So this is weird. I've found at least three seedlings among my tomatoes that look like someone pinched them about 1/4" from the base. They haven't fallen over--there's no top or anything. It's like the whole top of the seedlings just vanished.

I don't let my cats in my office and isn't really anything else in here. I get the stray little black ant, but I recently sprayed some barrier stuff all around the window and edges of the room. It keeps them out of my kitchen, so I don't know why it wouldn't work in here. Furthermore, I started them in a sterile seed starting mix--is it possible it had a pest in it?

Anyway... just, kind of strange. It doesn't seem to be happening to the basil. Is it just that some seedlings don't develop cotyledon leaves?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, it would be very strange for seedlings not to develop cotyledon leaves, nearly impossible.

It is a mystery. If these were outdoor seedlings, I would think cutworms, which do snip seedlings off like that. But I never heard of getting cutworms with potting soil.

Damping off disease will pinch the stems in/off just above the base like that. That would be the commonest thing to happen to indoor seedlings, but then the rest of the little seedling will be left there lying on the dirt. Once they are disconnected they will shrivel up and wilt very fast, so they might not be real obvious.

Otherwise I don't have any ideas.... :?:

imafan26
Mod

Are you sure you don't have snails hiding somewhere in the potted plants?

Cola82
Green Thumb

No, but it's possible--if they had very small leaves or they were stuck in a seed husk--that they shriveled up and I didn't see them, but they're all in my office two feet from where I spend all day working and I look at them pretty frequently. I've gone pretty easy on the water this whole time, watering from below, no more than they'll drink in a day. Still, I think I saw another thread where RGB was talking about using diluted cinnamon in the water? Should I try that?

If it happens again, I'll look more carefully and take a photo.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The cinnamon is a natural anti-fungal. It helps prevent both damping off (a fungal disease) and fungus gnats (that feed on fungus in the soil). If what you have isn't fungal, it probably won't help. It can help keep some insects away, but for example wouldn't bother snails or slugs any.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

And, that snail or slug would be my idea, also.

It doesn't sound like you have the right environment for them Cola but is there a chance one came in with the pots or something? You know how that Willamette Valley is . . . :wink:

Anyway, slugs are one reason I don't really like to start things in the greenhouse and am more willing to have the youngsters here in south window for the 1st week or so. I always have to put down some slug bait in the greenhouse after awhile but one tiny slug can kill several seedlings in a single night!

Steve

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”