MikeFIT

Planting in a stump

I have this tall tree stump at my new house at the edge of the driveway - maybe a lightening storm victim...The stump is actually about 8-10 feet high..

I want to get a little crazy and put some soil and plant some seeds up top and also in the hole at the bottom (I'm not sure the proper name, but I call it a squirrel hole) - something eye catching. Any ideas?

I was thinking of being a little nutty and putting four o'clocks or fox glove up top....

I was also maybe thinking of doing cucumbers on the bottom and giving them supports to grow up (though critters will likely get the fruits in this area...). Maybe another climbing flowering vine at the bottom? Any neat or unusual ideas for me?

LA47
Green Thumb

I have a tree that died and I had the tree trimmer leave the bottom 12 feet. That left me with 4 large, long limbs. It was a golden willow so the limbs are spread wide. I plan to build some attractive bird houses and mount on the top of each one. This spring I'll plant honeysuckles at the base.
The only doubt I have about you planting something at the top would be keeping the plant damp enough. Is there a hole at the top that you plan to plant in or are you going to use a pot?

MikeFIT

The top is hollow about 8 to 12 inches deep and I plan to add a bunch of soil, it has good thickness. I can water it no problem. May get old climbing the ladder to do that- but no pain no gain I suppose :)

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You guys are quite creative. I always keep my dead trees standing as long as the will, but usually top them to a safe level and cut off all dead limbs. You wouldn't believe the amount of wildlife, both plant and animal, that relies on those snags.

I would give a word of caution though, make sure that any snag that is left in a yard will fall in a safe direction. My pine snags usually drop to the ground in two or three years. Hardwood trees, especially when topped by 1/3 to 2/3 will stand for many seasons. I just had one drop this past year, actually I went out and pushed it over by hand. It had stood for almost ten years after it died. We had many families of wood peckers live in and feed on it. Squirrels used the old wood pecker excavations. I even saw a large skink several times.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”