swoodard

Soil

What kind of soil does everyone use to start your seeds? I picked up some from TSC and am still waiting for seeds to sprout? Maybe I'm impatient been 7 days for tomatoes and peppers

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I use mostly Coir / Perlite. Sometimes Coir / Perlite / Compost / sand.

Give them more time. 10 days to 2 weeks is not uncommon. What is the soil temperature?

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This is my first time making home made potting soil. I am using basically coconut coir, mushroom compost, and perlite, with whatever organic boosters I have on hand, like worm castings, hydrated alfalfa pellets, used coffee grounds.

On my heat mats, tomatoes take 4-5 days to sprout and peppers a week, but if you don't have heat, it can be significantly longer, like twice as much.

e.g. at soil temp of 59 deg. F tomatoes take 14 days to germinate and peppers take 25 days, at 77 deg F tomatoes take 6 days and peppers take 8.
https://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

swoodard

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I use mostly Coir / Perlite. Sometimes Coir / Perlite / Compost / sand.

Give them more time. 10 days to 2 weeks is not uncommon. What is the soil temperature?

Eric
I came home today and I see Maters coming up :lol: I got so excited I planted some more Maters and Peppers. The soil temp is 65 and the temp inside the greenhouse is 78. I guess I was just impatient. The soil I'm using is a potting soil made by Ground Work. It says its ingredients are composted green material, redwood shavings, washed sand. It's pretty moist & says its for all container plants, veggies and herbs. [/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

swoodard wrote:
DoubleDogFarm wrote:I use mostly Coir / Perlite. Sometimes Coir / Perlite / Compost / sand.

Eric
I came home today and I see Maters coming up :lol: I got so excited I planted some more Maters and Peppers. The soil temp is 65 and the temp inside the greenhouse is 78. I guess I was just impatient. The soil I'm using is a potting soil made by Ground Work. It says its ingredients are composted green material, redwood shavings, washed sand. It's pretty moist & says its for all container plants, veggies and herbs.
It would be better if the soil was 78* and air 65*. Anyway, sounds like you have a good start.

Eric

swoodard

Yea I would but don't have heat mats. I'm fixing to install some reflectors so hopefully that will help a bit.

swoodard

How often do you all recommend watering the seedlings? Seems the soil is pretty dry every day when I get home. I have been using a turkey baster and adding a few drops in each twice a day.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”