applestar
Mod

Very nice! Basils and Tomtoes in the red(?) containers look great! What ARE those containers? ...the tomato in he window looks lonely...

Cola82
Green Thumb

Well I've been trying to get nursery pots as cheap as possible wherever I can, and I decided to check Wal-Mart (I don't normally shop there if I can help it, but I wanted to cover all my bases). I found a seed starter much like the one I'd used, but with these bigger, deeper cells which is exactly what I needed right now to keep them all under the light. In fact, they nest perfectly within the seed starter tray that I was already using, so I've just been replacing the sections from the tray as I go.

They appear to be made from the same plastic as the original seed starter, just a different color, so they're very thin and prone to tearing. I don't think I'll be able to use them again, but they were only $4.

As for the poor windowsill rejects, well... I figured a poor chance was better than none. :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Everything is looking very good and healthy!! But it is likely to be only a few days to a week before all the things in the red containers are getting too crowded and will need to be up potted again. That's the point where I put them one per 3" pot or red solo cup and don't up pot anymore until they are ready to go in the ground or their final container.

Cola82
Green Thumb

I agree--it will necessitate another great culling. Poor babies.

Cola82
Green Thumb

So a couple of my basil seedlings have these curling leaves. You can see this one is starting to split, too. Is this from over watering? It's really hard to tell, since most of the other seedlings seem fine.

Furthermore, the sweet basil leaves just seem to be getting bigger while their second set of true leaves stay these tiny little buds in the center, which is driving me nuts, because the thai basil is already putting out buds for a third set of leaves, and they were planted and germinated two weeks after the sweet basil. The one in this photo does have a weird brown spot on the leaf I can't account for, though.

Peppers seem to be doing fine.

I think the tomatoes are okay--I'm not sure, though, having so little experience.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Everything is looking great! They are starting to look crowded though. The peppers particularly, I would get in to their own pots, like you did with the tomatoes.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Here is my whole set-up, With the heating problem in the greenhouse I have brought all plants back inside. My grow room is so crowded!!

I have a pea pod!!

Amish Paste

Indigo Apple

Praxxus Method on Ghost pepper plant. See the growth coming out the sides!!

Closest leaves to the camera are my cloned ghost peppers and the rest are a combo of banana, bell, and cayanne pepper starts

Cola82
Green Thumb

Praxxus method, eh? I'm going to look into that.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiO8xrYQeys

This is I think a 3 part series. you should watch all parts to see the difference over time

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”