MObeek
Cool Member

Attempting to grow Moringa Oleifera seedling indoors

I'm trying to grow a Moringa Oleifera tree/bush indoors. It's a tropical plant so I'm not sure if it will thrive in Northwest Missouri. At least I finally got one seedling to sprout. Has anybody grown this tree before?

https://www.keepandshare.com/photo/45621 ... ndoors?ifr

imafan26
Mod

Moringa is known here as Marunguray tree. The leaves and pods are both edible and it also has medicinal properties. It is most commonly grown by the Filipino community.

I have not grown it from seeds. The most common way to grow this is from a branch cutting. It roots easily.

It is a drought tolerant tree but is not particular about soil as long as it is well drained. It is a fast growing tree.

Normally it is not grown as a pot plant. The tree can be over 40 ft tall. I have never really seen the tree in its natural form. Branches are hacked off constantly for their leaves which are added to soups. The fruit is also added to soups when it is in season.

It is a very tough tree, it can be cut all the way back and it will still resprout. It puts out long branches.

It is hardy to zone 9-10. So, I don't know how it will do there.

It is worth trying, it is a versatile tree. I am looking forward to updates.

MObeek
Cool Member

Thanks for the great info. I'll definitely give updates on this new experiment. :)

MObeek
Cool Member

My Moringa seedling is still growing. :)
https://www.keepandshare.com/photo/45621 ... ?fv=y&ifr=

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looking good so far! :)

I wasn't familiar with moringa so I looked it up.

Here's what wiki says:
Much of the plant is edible by humans or by farm animals. The leaves are rich in protein, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C and minerals.[4] One hundred grams of fresh Moringa leaves have: 2 times the protein of 100 g yogurt (Moringa 8.3 g, yogurt 3.8 g); 4 times the calcium of 100 g milk (Moringa 434 mg, whole cow milk 120 mg); the same potassium as 100 g banana (Moringa 404 mg, banana 376 mg); the same vitamin A as 100 gm carrot (Moringa 738 μg, carrot 713 μg); 3 times the vitamin C of 100 g orange (Moringa 164 mg, orange 46.9 mg.[5]
Feeding the high protein leaves to cattle has been shown to increase weight gain by up to 32% and milk production by 43 to 65%.[6] The seeds contain 30 to 40% oil that is high in oleic acid.

Wow!!

MObeek
Cool Member

Wow indeed. I guess that is why they call it the miracle tree.

MObeek
Cool Member

Update on the Moringa seedlings: I was able to sprout two seedlings but the younger seedling was attacked by the fungus gnats so it withered and died. So I added sand on top of all my indoor plants' potting soil. I hope this gets rid of the gnats once and for all.

MObeek
Cool Member

Update:

My moringa is still growing but I think the fungus gnats are attacking the poor thing. I've tried putting out soapy water, sand on the top soil, chamomile and cinnamon, hanging a fly catcher, and, the most recent one, apple cider vinegar in a bowl. These gnats are hard to kill! :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Seedling looks like it is still hanging in there. Fungus gnats need moisture. Let the soil dry out as much as you can between waterings and just mist the tree a little bit in between.

Applestar swears that fungus gnats will drown themselves in a little bowl of soapy water set next to your plant. I haven't tried it, because the cinnamon works well for me. Your gnats must be tougher! :(

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”