PAnative

why do my seeds grow too fast

almost all the seeds I start grow too fast and the stems get really long and stringy....then they either fall over or rot at the base....any tips?

kimbledawn

I don't think they are growing too fast, they don't have enough light. Once the seed has sprouted they need to be put under lights for 12-16 hours. Otherwise the grow and stretch looking for light.

You also need to make sure that you start seeds in a sterile mix so that there aren't any fungus or bacteria worries. You could water them with diluted chamomile tea to help fight this.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

they prob need less light. Is the light on all the time or on 16 hours and off 8?

applestar
Mod

Falling over/rot at the base is damping off. They are being watered too much/too often without sufficient air flow. Humidity cover etc. should be removed after they sprout and definitely should not be used in direct sun.

The seedlings need to be given strong light. Usually just a sunny window is not enough Especialy if there is insect screen, etc. obstruction, multiple glazing, UV protection coating, etc. and window treatment.

The supplemental fluorescent lights should be mere inches from the top of the foliage. Distance depends on the diameter of the tubes and output. As close as possible without it feeling too hot to the back of your hand. I keep then on for 14-16 hrs too, though with lower light output, I try to keep them on longer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with applestar. Getting tall and spindly is not too much light, it is too little. The plants stretch out trying to find sunshine. As apple said, they need to be under fluorescent tubes (window light is rarely enough), which are just two or three inches above the plants and on 16 - 18 hrs a day.

Applestar was right too that rotting at the base of the stem and falling over is damping off. Damping off is a fungal disease that seedlings are very vulnerable to in conditions of too much moisture and too little air circulation. A small personal fan blowing across the plants can help with the air circulation. It also helps to put just a small amount of cinnamon and /or chamomile (as kimbledawn suggested) in the water you water with - they are natural anti-fungals.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I thought that if the plants were long and leggy they were getting to much light. I have only grown from seed indoors this year, so I have not experienced anything other than a 16 hour / 8 hour cycle. But good to know for the future.

Sorry for the bad intel :oops:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is very difficult to give indoor plants too much light! Anything we do artificially is so much less intense than sunlight. Stand outside your house on a sunny day and look in the window, see how dark it looks!

I do think even indoor plants benefit from the rest cycle though.

One year I was running out of room under the lights and tried moving tomato plants to a window. It was amazing, they turned from nice stocky seedlings to very long and leggy and spindly almost overnight.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”