IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Making my grow shelf bigger!! (Picture and Video)

I am using 3 donated metal shelves to add 5' to my shelf. I should get it put together and lights tonight!! let the mass production commence!!

Last edited by IndyGerdener on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

YAY!! More growing room! :)
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Awesome those look like the right depth as well.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Here is the quick video walk-around!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 3Y6kCS9whc

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Fancy set up! Thankfully here in the south, we can get by with a few clip on reflector lights, as the plants usually go outside during the day. The kane heating mat comes in very handy though, to give quick germination and warm soil when the plants have to stay inside on the occasional cold day. The dog really gets mad at those plants for stealing her warm floor!
Last edited by hendi_alex on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Yes I have noticed a difference with the different soil temperatures. I have a space heater under the bottom shelf. this keeps the space at 80 degrees. the racks I have sitting directly over the heater are way harder to keep from drying out than the others! I guess we have no humidity here in Indiana in February. I think it was 20 this morning when I got up.

I am thinking about constructing a small greenhouse outside here real soon. I think I can keep it warm enough to sustain life and get some of my plants in the natural light!!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You may want to consider building a nice cold frame instead. You can make a great one by re-purposing an old storm door, patio door, or window. The volume in a cold frame is small enough to be heated by one or two light bulbs, at least down to the mid 20's. Face the cold frame to the south, and place it beside a heated building if possible. If only the top is made of glass, then angle the top so that the sunlight hits it more directly.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

BTW, you may want to opt for a commercially available cold frame. I own a Juwel 1000 and a Juwel 1500 and am very happy with each. My 1500 is at least ten years old. The panels have gotten a little cloudy, but it is still holding up well. Will probably just replace the twin wall as some point, as the aluminum frame should last a life time.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I have actually checked into that already. I am getting a couple old shower doors donated to my cause. I am going to buy a couple bales of straw and build a rectangle "Greenhouse with the shower doors on top. I am thinking within the next couple weeks it will do well

Return to “Seed Starting Forum”