Grow Room Temps

I sectioned off a small piece of my basement with double layered 8 mil plastic. My basement is unfinished and isn't heated or cooled, so when it's really really cold outside the basement gets generally colder than normal, of course still staying much warmer than outdoors. My little electric heater works, but only to a certain extent. I would estimate the room is about 75 degrees.

Ideally, I know I would want it to be warmer, but this is still warm enough to grow my seeds, correct? I understand it might take a bit longer for them to get going, but I have the full scale light setup. So there is no reason why it won't work, correct?

applestar
Mod

The room itself doesn't need to be 75°. In fact cool temp seedlings would be better with ambient temp in the 40's to 50's and tomatoes at 50's to 60's, peppers maybe a little bit warmer.

For initial germinating, some seeds are faster when soil temperature is at optimum temperature. I believe there's a sticky to a link of those temps.

I have a standard 1020 flat sized heating mat, but I also use the top of light fixtures. You can sort of see them in this picture:
(the sweet potato in the front left is also enjoying the warmth from the light fixture below *no drainage holes in this container)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I keep my seeds as warm as I can get them it makes the seeds germinate quicker. I water the seeds with 100 deg water too. Keep the seed containers at lease 70 degrees F minimum, 80 deg is better.

Once the plants start coming up cooler temperature is fine. I don't let my plants get colder than 34 degrees. I move all the plants that are coming up outside every day in full sun. If the temperature outside is getting colder than 34 then the plants come inside for the night, other wise plants stay outside all the time.

My plants stay outside all the time if the temp is above 34 they need full sun and wind more than anything. Continue to water plants with warm water.

When the plants are inside the house keep a fan blowing on them all the time this helps to prevent stem rot.

Certain plants are fine with temperatures down to 20 degrees like parsley, peas and carrots.

well heck I'm turning the heat off then. I'll replace it with an oscillating fan on low.

I can't take my plants outside at all right now. I'm lucky if it gets over 34 all day, let alone down to 34 at night. As I type this it's 28 degrees at 730 in the morning.

I've always used room temp water. I think maybe I'll do hot water in one flat and room temp in the other to see if I see a diff.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”