IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

using seeds dried in a dehydrator?

What is the over / under that these will survive?

I air dried out a lot of pepper seeds, but it seems like I should have saved more ghost pepper seeds to sell. I have a bag full of dried ghost peppers that I saved for eating. If these seeds will germinate I could have a couple hundred more seeds and plants to sell.

I put 20 or so in a coffee filter and baggie that I dried in the dehydrator. I am crossing my fingers.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Air dried is fine but heat dried no good!

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I didn't think there was any hope for the seeds I dryed in the dehydrator. However, there are some that are sprouting!! Nature will surprise me!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Never use heat to directly dry seedlings. It's just not worth it. Even a dehydrator is not a good idea.

Just let them air dry that's what Mom Nature does.

My 2 cents

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Well, I dryed the peppers out because I was making pepper shake. Then I ran out of super hot seeds and messed up my first batch pf ghost pepper sprouts and lost 85% of the germinated plants. I still had bags of un crushed ghost peppers. There are alot of seeds in the peppers still. I thought "it doesn't hurt anything to try" I have at least 10% of those seeds germinating after 10 days. That is 10 more plants than I had 11 days ago. If I net $5 each plant after sales That is $50 more than I had without trying.

I just didnt know what to expect 10 days ago. Just seeing if people had experienced it before. I have learned my lesson and will never dry in the dehydrator without taking seeds again. I am now going ti be a seed horder!!

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”