Susan W
Greener Thumb

Kids go out to play!

I let a few more kids out to play today! These are the seedlings in 4" pots. 1 flat has been out off and on, and I figure can take down to 45 easy. I am sure can go lower but I'm sometimes a protective mom. This is on a shelf up against the house gets some protection, and is not IN the rain. A few more went out for the day (1st day out) mostly shaded and protected, and now back in.
Yes there will be plenty of frost yet (April 15 our date), but by now we are sometimes over the lower 20's. Hopefully the gal pots can stay out (have comfrey and painted daisy at this time). If real cold they get tucked under shelves or drug in.

vermontkingdom

This is the most difficult time of the year for me to read this Forum. I so much envy all the talk about putting plants out to harden off or, even more difficult to hear, putting them directly into the garden. Those of us far north are many weeks away from being able to do enjoy that feeling. For us, we can only start seeds inside and look forward to warmer times (it was -11 F yesterday morning). Be kind to us by lying a bit about how cold it is down south.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”