Eventually

Starting Corn Indoors

Has anyone successfully started corn in flats and transplanted into the garden? I have such a short growing season that I am considering giving it a try, but don't know if it's worth my time and effort.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Eventually wrote:Has anyone successfully started corn in flats and transplanted into the garden? I have such a short growing season that I am considering giving it a try, but don't know if it's worth my time and effort.
Yes, I've done it two different way. A mass planting in 1 gallon nursery pots and in 50 or 75 cell trays. Both have their advantages. The one gallon pot has to be watered less often, but the plants will need teasing apart, when planting. The multiple cells need watering more often, but the plugs are easy to pull and plant. If you go the cell route, buy the deeper model.

When plant them out, I plant them deeper then the original soil line.

Spring Treat is another good early variety.

Eric

Jardin du Fort

My grandfather, who lived in Niagara County, NY, started sweet corn inside every year. When everyone else was planting their corn in the garden, he was transplanting 3", 6", 9" plants. He started them, I believe, individually in 8" or larger clay pots. I have heard that corn doesn't like to be transplanted, and that is likely true, hence using the larger pots so as not to disturb the roots in the transplanting. Hardening off is also likely a really good idea.

My grandfather really loved his sweet corn, and had continual plantings so as to have fresh corn throughout the season. He planted a new batch every week or so, in addition to those that had been started indoors. As I recall, he had something like four rows of 25 to 30' length in the garden, but they were NOT all planted at the same time!

Unfortunately, I can not ask my grandfather about his methods, as he went to meet his Maker in 1964.

:)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have started corn indoors in the past and transplanted it. It works, but it is still a toss up to me whether it was worth it. Corn is quick to sprout and quick to grow, so you will only gain a couple weeks by planting it inside. And it is more cold tolerant than we sometimes think planted outside. You can direct seed corn outdoors on your average last frost date. Even if you do get a bit more frost after that, your seed will be all right.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”