mywebinfo

Seed Tapes

Has anyone ever used commercial Seed Tapes or made their own? Curious if the work well. :?:

LA47
Green Thumb

DH read about using a flour and water paste and 'glueing' carrot seeds to lengths of toilet tissue with it. He keeps saying he is going to do it. I have no desire to as I just broad cast them (no rows) and thin them later. If I am careful I don't have a lot of seeding to do. Lots easier. :lol:
High Altitude Gardener zone 4B or 5A

applestar
Mod

Too cheap to buy them, but have tried making them.
I used tissue paper party streamers since toilet paper tended to tear apart at the perforation when I didn't want it to. :?

But at least with my DIY version, I found it dificult to bury evenly and completely without burying too deeply, especially since it was the tiny seeds that seemed to benefit from the "concept" of seed tapes. Any part of the paper left exposed wicked the moisture and dried up the seedlings that were trying to germinate.

Your mileage may vary.

On the other hand, my girls and I discovered that making these seed tape streamers, then cutting them up into cute shapes makes great Valentines and other occasion card inserts. :wink:

mywebinfo

seed tapes

I never considered my self extreme but last year when I had to pull a dozen or more and just throw away so others could have room to grow, it just really irked me. It seemed like such a waste, not enough friends, not enough people buying at the market it just seemed wasteful.

I kept telling myself, it makes good mulch, it makes good mulch..that didn't relieve the anxiety. The whole thing doesn't make much sense (my anxiety), the seeds won't last until next year, I can always buy more seeds next year, the extras make good mulch, yada, yada

Oh well, I am making some out of toilet paper. The wicking thing is a good point, I'll make sure I get it covered up. My biggest curiosity was if they grew, and stayed in a fairly straight line etc.

Yeah, that's what I though the tiny seeds benefit from this type of thing. Great minds!!

:lol: This sounds so picky and I am really not, oh well maybe I am! Jr. likes straight rows and thinks I don't follow the string line anyway. Maybe this is his fault! :roll: Hey that makes me in tune with the 21st century, blame someone else....It's not my fault! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I always hate to have to throw away thinned plants too. If I have any room elsewhere, I don't throw them away, I just dig them up and transplant.

I have also gotten better with experience at knowing how to manage the tiny seed and not over plant so much, space it a little better to start with.

Re "the seeds won't last until next year, " we have a whole thread going on this right now. In fact most seeds will last several years before there is significant reduction in germination rate. Save your seeds!

And otherwise, just relax and don't stress over this. The amazing thing about gardening is Nature's abundance. There is always plenty and in an organic garden, nothing ever goes to waste... it is composted and returned to the earth.

And nothing in Nature is in straight lines. I plant in wide rows, in bunches with other stuff in between, in triangles, or whatever works with the space and plants I have. Plants aren't soldiers!
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

mywebinfo

seed tapes

My garden gets pretty full but thanks for the encouragement. As hard as I try I still plant the little seeds to close.

Yeah I know intellectually the seed packs will last a long time. Saw some where the thread about that. The older they get the less likely they are to sprout...experience...even when kept in cold dry place.

Thanks again.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't worry about seed tapes, quite honestly. :)

When I'm planting very fine seeds (e.g., carrots), I mix them with some sand and sprinkle the mixture into the prepared raised bed. I'm able to wait to thin them using this method until I have very tiny baby carrots. The baby carrots are a nice snack (it's just a shame there aren't more of them that often to take back into the house :wink: ), and the greens go back into the compost.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Seed Starting Forum”