Burz

Citronella Seeds?

Looking for Citronella seeds and cant find them from the places I usually buy my seeds. I don't like buying things online from unfamiliar places. If anyone has a source please let me know.
A friend inspired me to grow them and bring them inside as a houseplant in the winter. His plant is a beast and continues to grow well for him. I'd like to get seeds going soon so I can compete with his. :lol:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Burz - I have been looking and looking for true citronella seed -wall- True citronella is a grass. Most of what I find is lemon scented geranium. I do keep a couple of lemon scented geraniums on my patio and rub the leaves on pulse points for mosquitoe control . It last for about 30 minutes. I have 2 very scraggly plants from last year. As soon as it warms up enough I will take cuttings and start new plants. Seeds for lemon scented geraniums are easy to find. I hit the wall on finding true citronella grass. Some one else on this forum will have better luck and give you a resource. Good luck!

imafan26
Mod

Hi
Citronella is a relative of lemon grass.
Are you thinking of citrossa instead which is pelargonium citrosum

https://www.ediblelandscapingmadeeasy.co ... nt-plants/

The oil from citronella grass is used to make the mosquito repellents.
I have had the citrossa plant. I have never seen it bloom and it is grown from cuttings. It only works in about a 10ft range and only if you can smell it.

Other plants with repellent properties have lemon scents: lemon thyme, lemon grass, lemon balm, catnip, rose scented geraniums and rosemary. For most of these plants to work the leaves are best crushed to release their scent and only work for the most part as long as you can smell it. Tests show citrossa it is not as effective as it's name implies.

The best deterrent by far is to remove standing water. If you can't empty the puddle, put a few drops of dish soap or BT in it. It is what I do with the rain barrels.

DEET should be applied on your clothes not your skin. Long sleeves helps too. If west nile, or dengue fever is a potential risk, I would always go with the best protection available. Mosquitoes are more active in the cooler parts of the day, windless days, and in shady areas and are the worst about 3 days after the rains have stopped.

Citronella grass may not seed well. Lemon grass which is a close relative rarely seeds and is usually multiplied by division. Ask your friend for a division

https://www.floridata.com/ref/c/cymb_nar.cfm

aklimit
Newly Registered

Researching Citronella Grass also - found this website and intend to try it out !! Has anyone else ever used this online company?

Colonial Creek Farm

https://www.colonialcreekfarm.com/Citron ... p_102.html

Description
(cymbopogon nardus)This non-edible tropical grass is the source of commercial citronella oil used in various products to repel mosquitos and other biting flies. Coarse grass quickly grows to a large clump up to 6' wide by 6' tall in warm climates. Frost sensitive grass can be overwintered indoors with adequate light in colder climates. Grass can be rubbed on clothing to repel mosquitos, but please use caution when rubbing on bare skin as it has been known to cause an allergic skin reaction in some individuals. Tender perennial zones 11+ One live starter plant in 2 1/2" pot.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”