DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I heat my propagation chamber about this range. Maybe slightly warmer for tomatoes and peppers.

I start all seedlings by counting back from our average frost date. April 15th.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/v ... hp?t=33290

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I start all seedlings by counting back from our average frost date. April 15th.

I do too and I have the same average last frost date.

12 weeks ahead of 4/15 is 1/15, so by then I will be starting the first seeds: petunias, parsley, broccoli, cabbage, canterbury bells

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

is their anything special with starting petunias? Mine never ever grew well (or even sprouted).

Trisha

ReptileAddiction wrote:is their anything special with starting petunias? Mine never ever grew well (or even sprouted).
mine either. I got 2 out of a whole 128 flat of seeds, and it took ALL summer to grow into an 'eh' sized plant. would love to know this answer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Petunias need light to germinate, so you don't want to cover the seed. Just scatter them on the surface of damp potting soil, press them lightly to be sure they are in contact with the soil and leave them under the lights. The soil needs to be warm (between 70 and 80 deg F) and the seeds need to stay damp. I start them on the heat mat.

Most of my seeds I only bottom water, but the things that need light to germinate, I also sprinkle lightly with water to keep them from drying out while they are exposed to air and have no roots. Once they have sprouted, I quit the sprinkling.

They are kind of slow, that's why I start them in January. By last frost date in April they will be big sturdy 8" or so tall plants and blooming already.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Mine had no heat and were 1/4 inch down :? I might order a few. I can grow them year round here so it doesnt really matter when I start them as long as they stay warm I guess.

whatinspiresu
Newly Registered

rainbow gardener, youve convinced me to try petunias again, seeds should be coming in the mail, thank you!

I also came across a spreadsheet for seed starting time. Enter our last frost date and it calculates for you. pretty snazzy.

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-PDGSeedStart.aspx

whatinspiresu
Newly Registered

doh! one more, by ZIP code. even easier

https://allthingsplants.com/apps/calendar/

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

That lsat one told me I have no frost but the other morning I had to scrape my windshield.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”