biwa

Should I take newly germinated seeds in for the winter?

I planted some blueberry seeds a few months ago, after treating them to an artificial "winter" in my refrigerator. Some of them germinated right away, so I thought the germinating period was over... but two more just germinated! Will the coming winter kill such young plants? Should I bring them inside until spring?

Right now they are in a hydroponic garden in my garage. I live in zone 7, but the garage is probably zone 8 or 9. Lately I have been decreasing the daily on-time of the lamps to roughly match the amount of time the sun is up for.

zebraman

Hey biwa; I would bring them in. You sound like that you forced the seeds outside of their normal growing cycle ie: sprouting in Spring and having all Summer to grow. I live in Southern CA. and don't worry about frosts. I multiply my Blueberry plants by cuttings and a liquid rooting hormone called Dip-n-gro. I would still keep rooted cuttings inside for the first Winter, unless they were well established.
To thine own self be true!

biwa

But I haven't done anything outside their normal growing cycle. I first tried to germinate them in late spring, after a "winter" of cold-moist stratification.

So maybe they've seen a slightly shorter warm season, but other than that, it's been about the same. And it's not like the seeds don't know it's fall right now; the garage is cooler and the days they see are shorter than just a few weeks ago. It's almost like the seeds waited until fall to sprout. Incidentally, two more just sprouted, so now I have four.

I'm still confused about whether or not to bring them in.

Return to “Seed Starting Forum”