countrykat

Radish

I read the above sticky and it was said that miracle grow soil is fine for seed starting. I want to grow radish in raised beds but was under the assumption that seeds would not germinate in fertilized soil. Can anyone add to this please.

This is my first post on any garden forum and look forward to learning all I can.

Thanks

Jim

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You are talking about Miracle grow garden soil right? If so, you'd be fine just planting the Radish seeds right into the soil. I have done it and it works. Root crops don't do well when you plant them in cells and try transplanting later.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree that root crops don't transplant well and are better off just planting the seed directly in the ground. For seeds that you are starting indoors/ in containers, Miracle Gro POTTING SOIL (NOT garden/ topsoil, they sell some of that too) works just fine for germinating seeds. I have germinated literally thousands of them that way. The seeds don't need the fertilizer at first, but it does not stop them from germinating. If you are using potting soil with fertilizer in it, you definitely don't want to be adding any other fertilizer. You don't want to be forcing leaf/stem growth when it should be working on developing roots.

People often plant seeds in seed starting mix that has no nutrients in it. But as soon as the seedling gets true leaves, it starts dying, because it has used up the nutrients that were in the seed. So then you have to eithe start fertilizing or transplant them right away into regular potting soil. Planting them in the M-G potting soil to begin with avoids all that.

countrykat

Thanks, I am getting some supplies in the morning so I'll pick up the soil too.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Try the radish mix that has about 5 or more variies in it! My radish are still growing and the frost did not kill them yet!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”