simplycurious

Identifying a plant

I germinated some seeds then planted them in July. I planted them in 100% compost in pots and set them in the sun behind my house.

Fast forward to late August...I find some pots with little seedlings in them behind my house!! :shock: :?

I figure I must have been the one to plant them, so I watered them and moved them to bigger pots. It is now late September and they have gotten even bigger. I swear every week or so there is a new seedling in the pot! I need help figuring out what I planted.

If I post pictures, can someone please help me?

[img] file:///var/folders/c1/c1i5JvyxElWFVA4jOCSxME+++TI/-Tmp-/com.apple.mail.drag-T0x1005200f0.tmp.pUVRX9/2012-09-24%2017.49.24.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The link won't open up for me. Instructions for posting pictures here are in New to Helpful Gardener? under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I couldnt open it either

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Image has to be on a hosting site such as flicker in order for link to work.

simplycurious

[img]https://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u613/myusername22/2012-09-24174924_zps73d8b90d.jpg[/img]

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

That's a tomato, don't see any flowers though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is a tomato plant. It may or may not have been what you originally planted. I always have tomato plants that volunteer where ever I plant things with my compost. It's amazing how their seeds seem to survive the composting process, when nothing else does (except some squashes that also volunteer, but no weeds).

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Looks purposefully planted there RG....it's right in the middle of the pot lol. But you're right, the seeds do find themselves everywhere. I actually have a volunteer potato growing in my new raised bed, I'm still not sure how that happened.

simplycurious

:D Yay!
That's what I thought it was (just because I'd tried to identify the leaves) but then there is no way that I could have germinated tomato seeds because I'm not at that gardening skill level yet. So I suppose, like one reply said, that the seeds in the compost came through then?
I bought some tomato stakes about a week ago and put one around one of the plants. Will the plant 'know' to climb it? Will the plant produce fruit if I love it enough? I am so excited!!

applestar
Mod

Tomto vines don't have tendrils as such, so you'll need to tie the stem(s) onto the stake every 8 inches or so. You can also put 3 or 4 stakes around the plant then tie a string "ladder" onto the stakes to cage the plant in if you prefer.

I believe originally wild tomato plants used to hold on/climb with their leaves (like clematis vine leaves if you are familiar with them) -- some varieties have greater tendency to do this and still curl their leaf tips around thinner supports when they come in contact with them. I use this trait to make the plants "hold hands" by encouraging two leaves to bend and curl or twisting them to each other. Tomato stems also grow roots wherever they come in contact with moist surface -- much like Boston ivy and other ivy species that grow up the side of a building.

You will want to grow this tomato plant in a large container to produce fruits. At least 4 or 5 gallon is a good size, though even bigger would be better. How big is this container it's in now? (diameter at top and height). It will be easier to Uppot while the plant is still manageable size. If this pot is big enough, I can see that you could add more potting soil -- all the way up to about 1" below the rim. The tomato will grow roots from the buried stem so there is no need to worry.

simplycurious

applestar wrote:
Tomto vines don't have tendrils as such, so you'll need to tie the stem(s) onto the stake every 8 inches or so. You can also put 3 or 4 stakes around the plant then tie a string "ladder" onto the stakes to cage the plant in if you prefer.

How do I tie them? What material would be best?

How big is this container it's in now? (diameter at top and height).
The pot is 14" tall and 13" wide. It is a 'self-watering' pot, that you add water to the bottom of, but I'm not sure I trust it, so I water it from the top by using the 'mist' setting on my hose once a week.

If this pot is big enough, I can see that you could add more potting soil -- all the way up to about 1" below the rim. The tomato will grow roots from the buried stem so there is no need to worry.

Thank you for the advice! Should I clip the weaker shoots growing from the bottom part of the stems?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't mist the leaves, which can contribute to fungal diseases. Water the soil, until water is running out the bottom into the reservoir.

simplycurious

rainbowgardener wrote:Don't mist the leaves, which can contribute to fungal diseases. Water the soil, until water is running out the bottom into the reservoir.
How will I know if the water is getting to the roots? I don't want to wait until I see my plant wilting to find out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you water the soil, from the top until water comes out the bottom, it will automatically be watering the roots. How could it be otherwise?

simplycurious

I was referring to the self-watering pots. The ones that I am to add water to the bottom of. How will I know that the water is getting to the roots?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Just trust it, it does. The soil wicks up the water like a sponge.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”