Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Lets talk seed flats that work for you!

Seed flats can be confusing when it comes to the inserts or cubes for the new gardener! Most flats are 10-1/2 by 21-1/2! The inserts or cubes vary in number and cells per pack! 6 pack sheets with 6 cel in each is a 36 count and a nice size for tomatoes! I would say the most common is 8 packs with 6 cells per pack with a total of 48! If I was starting cole crops I would probably use a 10 pack with 6 cells or 60 cells per flat! you can even by the bigger cells where you have one cell and 12 per pack with a total of 12 cells per flat. These are good for flowers and bigger started tomatoes!
+++
Most flats can be purched for about $1 to$1.25 depending where you buy them. I found them at Agway for about a $1... What size do you refer? Does anyone have any suggestions using flats or inserts? I like to put a little soil under the cubes to give better root development even though the roots are torn away when the plant is removed. I do this to make more room or root development and a healthier plant! The soil below the cubes helps hold moisture when it runs through the cubes! How many here use plug trays to get small early seedlings? I do not like the peat liner trays since it dries out to fast!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”