Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Starting seeds on top of a heated aquarium in the greenhouse

Its easy and accurate to heat a aquarium with the small very accurate low energy heaters they sale for under $20 for aquariums!! Why use a heat mat I thik a aquarium is better and also gives off moisture! You can also set set several aquariums in a inclosed insulated area to maintain the heat.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Do you already have aquariums? If so why not. Otherwise most heat mats that will fit a flat use about 20 watts. Most aqaurium heaters start off at about 100 watts to 300 or more depending on size of tank. Need moisture use a humididty dome or plastic wrap.

Personally I don't like humidity domes they can be dangerous to seedlings.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I do have several aquariums that I used to demo my bobber in sport shows about 30 to 40 gallon. Once the water is heated I don't thing the heater will be on much in a insulated chamber. I never liked heat mats but they work great for the smaller seed starter!! I like the water heated because it will heat the whole sweat chamber! Thanks for the reply!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Been checking on aquarium heaters and I can buy 25 watt up even with thermastats in for under $20. Will let you know how it works!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

This is only "somewhat related" to what you are thinking about, Bobberman.

I once met a western Washington gardener who must have had a fairly large greenhouse. She put a waterbed in the middle of it and used that not only to provide and store heat but she started her seed on top. I never saw what she was talking about but imagined that it could be a useful idea for greenhouse heat and a replacement for heat mats for seed starting.

In the greenhouse, how one works around something as large as a water bed left me a little puzzled. A large aquarium would be a reasonable size and, with enuf wattage, might even heat a small greenhouse where winters are not very cold.

Steve

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I never thought of a water bed. I had a cheap one 30 years ago that sat on the floor just like a matress. That is a great idea. The water would heat up during the day and would not require too much heat to maintain a 55 degree temp!.Thanks! I can't say enough about water storage in a greenhouse to extend the season. You can buy 50 gallon metal or plasic drum for usually $10. A insulated greenhouse on the north side and water storage is all you need!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”