applestar
Mod

Marigolds from seeds?

rainbowgardener wrote:Even your idea of marigolds and lettuce; for me the marigold is much slower growing than the lettuce. I direct seed my lettuce in the ground, but I start the marigolds indoors and give it a good head start.
I think I want to try growing marigolds from seeds. What variety do you grow?
When and how do you start them and what should I expect? 8) :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I just grow my home collected seeds. They are some dwarf yellow that I have grown out for generations now, so I don't remember the specific variety. But I have noticed especially with my home collected seeds, but even a bit with store bought they tend to have a low germination rate and be slow.

So I just stuff a whole bunch of seeds in one of the little cells and be patient with them. I start them with the earliest things when I get the indoor seed starting operation going. Once they get well started, they do fine, but slow to germinate and slow to grow very much at the beginning.

I haven't done it, but they would probably do great to be direct seeded in the fall. My containers are full of baby marigolds now from the seeds that dropped, so it must be easier to sprout them outdoors in summer than indoors in winter. I don't know if the baby ones would overwinter if I brought them in, might try a few. I know they don't over winter left outdoors.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I harvest some marigolds (potbelly) I think someone said they were.
I put them in cells. And in only the morings sun and they had a wonderful gen rate.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

They were crescent moon shaped seeds. A mix of orange and some yellow.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I grow Queen Sophia, both Lemon and Tangerine Gem, and Cottage Red. I plant mine all year. And I put them right into the ground when I grow them.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I start marigold seeds inside the last week of march to be transplanted outside mid-may onward. They have good germination rates and are easy to grow in containers and gardens.
There are many varieties, but some I like are the smaller Janie's in all colors,
Other French varieties like the Safai series, larger African style like crackerjack and mumsy.
Packets from stores seem to do as well as those from seed catalogs.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

GardenGnome wrote:I harvest some marigolds (potbelly) I think someone said they were.
I put them in cells. And in only the morings sun and they had a wonderful gen rate.
These are not marigolds, but Calendula officinalis (pot marigold) This is why common names are not good for identification.

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

For many years I saved the seed from the little French marigolds that I grew and replanted them each subsequent year. I planted a row about 12 to 18 inches wide all along each side of the driveway leading up to my house. They grew just fine. I planted the seed directly in the ground.

I don't live in that house anymore, and don't plant marigolds along the driveway. :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I admit I smiled as one plant I have grown from seed is marigolds. No offense Apple! When getting into varieties and which and what, can be difficult if you are looking for something specific. My suggestion is when you see the seed pack at the rack in the store of one you want, get it.

I was looking for specific ones for the 18th c French garden at Ft Toulouse, AL. As I took notes got more confused! I did get a box with Tagetes patula, for $1 at Walgreens. This was one of the rare ones with real name. It is pretty, low maintanence. I have planted there in April, come back in early Nov blooming it's self silly. Then some blooms go in my dye pot for demo.

Back to starting, can do in-ground/container or earlier. They can take cold, not frost, so kinda hardy. Even though they are known to deter some things, I got the cooties on some. (this season I have cooties on so much stuff!)

applestar
Mod

This is great! I didn't realize I had received so many responses. :D
(none taken, Susan.) Thanks for posting your experiences.

I've tried reseeding them outside in the fall but with diminishing returns -- both Calendula (pot marigold) as well as lemon/tangerine gems. I think the slugs like them too much. Also, they tend to get infested by whiteflies. Maybe if I give them a strong start they would be able to self seed.

So, the Gems, Queen Sophia, Cottage Red, Janie's, Safari series, Crackerjack, mumsy, ...any other specific variety recommendations? I'll have to do some research!
-- Tagetes patula = French marigold
-- Calendula officials = Pot marigold

As far as I know, African marigold root exudates repel nematodes, and French marigold flowers can be eaten.

Thanks for the reminder about calendula btw. I want to put some of that in my herb garden. I used to have a few come back each year but they died out and I don't have seeds any more so I have to put it on my seed shopping list.
I'm also planning to grow some Mexican mint marigold/Mexican tarragon* in the herb garden.

*Got that wrong I guess
(Tagetes lucida Cav. and Mexican mint marigold, Texas tarragon)

I'll start them with the earliest seeds -- I'm looking forward to seed starting season (isn't that funny?).
8)
Last edited by applestar on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Depending on the species, marigold foliage has a musky, pungent scent, though some varieties have been bred to be scentless. It is said to deter some common insect pests, as well as nematodes. Tagetes are hence often used in companion planting for tomato, eggplant, chili pepper, tobacco and potato. Due to antibacterial thiophenes exuded by the roots, tagetes should not be planted near any legume crop. [6] Some of the perennial species are deer-, rabbit-, rodent- and javalina or peccary-resistant. [7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagetes

applestar
Mod

Here's an interesting paper.
:arrow: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ng045

One thing I'm not clear on is -- what about BENEFICIAL nematodes? The predatorial nematodes that prey on the smaller pest nematodes and other macro soil organisms like grubs and other larvae. The paper above seems to say that the root exudate can prevent nematodes from hatching, in addition to nematode resistant varieties starving out the pest nematodes.

Oh... I guess thesis a bit OT. Maybe I should start a new thread in Organic Pest Control.... :oops:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I don't remember the varietys' but I grew about 5 -6 they all did alright and like RBG said start them early they take a long time. I just donated all my flower seed to my kids school they were doing flowers for mothers day so I can't tell you the names.

The seeds I had were old though. I haven't planed them in a while. They self seeded thousands last year and this year not as many because I have some ground cover that is taking over the areas.

Good luck

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

When I save the marigold seeds I have plenty! I do grow some in containers. What I like to do is throw them all over my garden in the spring and let them grow where they will. I dig them out and move them when they are in a bad place. You would be suprised how nice they grow on their own and on a wet day thay transplant easy!!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Sorry I can't get the pic to do right. This is LilDan (3 1/2) with his pot of marigolds. There are 2 plants in the 10" pot. Started late in season so didn't worry about crowding. He planted seeds, and I admit to fudging, planting more when they weren't doing well. (they are a bit old). He didn't want to smile for pic either. Oh well!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/L ... directlink

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

At first I thought LilDan wi=as the variety..... Do you know what variety it is? Are they African or French?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

The marigolds are sold as Dwarf French Double, Tagetes patula. This is one of the few seeds I find with a name. (genus-species). LilDan is my G-son. His Mom is African American, so a loaded question there!

FWIW, I have found these seeds in a box at Walgreens for $1. The seeds mixed with fill for easy planting. I have seen the box elsewhere for $1-2. That is cheap thrills and pretty!!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”