IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Do seeds need to dry to germinate?

Do seeds need to dry to germinate, or can you plant a wet seed and grow a plant?

lorax
Greener Thumb

I'd say not - otherwise how would plants propagate in nature? From personal experience, I've planted whole tomatoes and had plants come up, as well as pumpkins right out of the gourd, and any number of fruits, so I don't think that drying is necessary at all - provided you're planting the seeds right away. In fact, some seeds need to be still wet from their fruits for a good chance of germination - oranges and passionflowers both come to mind.

Drying has more to do with storage of seeds from one season to the next without them going moldy.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Some folks are rather startled to find seeds in tomatoes or apples that they have just sliced into - already sprouted! It happens with fully ripened fruit.

What is more important than whether the seed is directly from the fruit or not is whether the seed has matured. It is possible that the seed on your plate is not fully matured because the fruit didn't ripen naturally. Now, let's think when that might happen . . . .

Oh, just about always with commercially harvested fruit. So, if your lovely red pepper was picked green, then gassed until it turned red - some of the seeds in that fruit may have not matured. Some of them may have, however, altho' the percentages may be low. The plant is genetically "set up" to reproduce, after all. Unless, it wasn't . . . .

Steve :?

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Ok, I was just thinking about the seed that grows is on the plant completely through the crowing cycle. Most of them will get extremely ripe and fall on the ground where they dry out. I didn't know if this was a necessary step.

Sounds like it is not

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

from my experience, I have successfully grown fresh seed from tomatoes, watermelon and peppers. so, in short no, they do not always have to be dry.

lily51
Greener Thumb

As stated, seeds need to be dry for storage. Seeds kept moist but not planted will get moldy, mushy and not germinate.
Moisture is the number one requirement for seed germination, so dry seeds planted but never watered will not sprout.
Moisture can be a tricky thing... Seeds planted in the spring that get moisture but soil temperature is too cold for germination can sit in the ground and rot.
Same for seeds started in containers and in greenhouses.

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I planted 10 pea seeds last night straight from the pod. We will see if they sprout. I am trying to fill in the openings in my pea row

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”