snorkel4u

Tips on Seed starting for Spinach, Zinnia and Balsam

Hi All,

Need some tips in getting healthy germination from Zinnia, Balsam, Hybrid Marigold and spinach seeds.

They were sown 2-3 days back. The spinach seeds have germinated and are now approx 2-3 inches tall but are lanky and shaky with the cotyledons on the top. Is this normal? I am just worried if they will give in coz of Damp off? They are in a rectangular container approx 7 inches x 30 inches. They aren't covered. They are growing in coco peat medium, at the base its 1:1 mix of coco peat and soil.

I read in rainbow's post that they should be fed fertilizers only after the true leaves appear. So I guess then I need to wait a while.

Also Zinnia and Balsam are still resting in the medium. They are in a seeding tray with only moist coco-peat as medium. Covered with a plastic sheet to retain moisture.

And the temperature is around 100-110 F here in India.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The others are summer plants, but the spinach is a cool weather crop, grows best in temps from 60 - 75 deg F. It is just not going to do well for you in three digit temps.

The zinnias can take a week or more to germinate at 70 deg F, but at your temps should show up in about five days. Remove the plastic as soon as the first ones germinate.

snorkel4u

Thanks for the quick reply Rainbow. I will monitor the zinnia's closely. Will post the pictures of their progress as well.

I had also sown Hybrid Marigold and Coreopsis. Any pointers about these? As of now these are also in the seeding tray. Covered with plastic sheet.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”