Ava

Help me save my sunflowers?

These are about 3 1/2 months old now. I put them outside a couple of weeks after they germinated, and since then they've suffered numerous set backs. The first was that the seemingly mild weather turned suddenly cold, and we kept getting frost at night so had to keep bringing them in. Then there were hailstorms and such. At some point, they were attacked by aphids and possibly spider mites too - I suspected that was the case but left it too long before I checked properly (thinking I wouldn't know so should just leave them be). They had at this point holes in their leaves and one plant had just stopped growing. Anyway, mild weather returned and in the last few weeks I have been spraying them with insecticide (tried soap and water, that didn't do anything unfortunately). They have resumed growing, but none of them look as healthy as they should - and one has produced an extra stem, which can't be right... So I still suspect they're not doing very well. What should I do? They may need repotting but I didn't know if it would make them worse. Picture below:

[img]https://img692.imageshack.us/img692/24/may20125808.jpg[/img]

Thank you for any help.

JerseyTrash
Newly Registered

Hmmm, they don't look TERRIBLE, I would just keep a close eye on them until they get bigger and stronger. They may turn out alright. My green beans weren't doing good but I transplanted them into the ground and they're looking better now. I've had to grow 3 different sets of sunflowers this year already (mammouths). Frost got the first batch, then the deer got the second, the 3rd are doing wonderful though.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

They need bigger pots. Sunflowers grow root systems pretty quick to support their height and weight. I would get them in the ground very soon.

Mine always start out a little spindly too but then thicken up and do fine. As long as they're outside, let them do their thing once they r in the ground.

Ava

Okay, thanks both of you :D They're planted in the ground now.

applestar
Mod

Watch out for slugs. The are wreaking havoc among my directly sown in the ground sunflower seedlings. :evil: I think I have to try again.

Ava

applestar wrote:Watch out for slugs. The are wreaking havoc among my directly sown in the ground sunflower seedlings. :evil: I think I have to try again.
Oh no :( Fortunately I haven't had any problems with slugs yet, but I will keep an eye out. I do have a soft spot for them though (and snails), so not sure what I'd do if I did find any :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You have a soft spot for SLUGS :evil: ugh... they are the one thing in my garden that seems to be totally without redeeming value. (I understand that isn't literally true and toads and snakes would be disappointed if slugs disappeared, but since I don't have toads or snakes in my garden, it is true for me.) They are slimy and ugly and nasty and currently the worst destroyer in my garden. I live in fear of not managing to clean the lettuce well enough (I do soak it in salt water) and biting in to one in my salad.... euww, euww, just thinking about it is enough to make me not eat salad!!

DonnaH123
Newly Registered

Do you have any terrific ideas for keeping the slugs out? We are having a terrible problem with them. My strawberries are gone! My sunflowers are miserable and I didn't even suspect slugs but that is right where they are living :oops: I was looking for info on brussels sprouts and perhaps that is the problem there too? On a rainy night, my deck is covered in large ugly fat ones. Ewwww! :twisted:

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

SLUGGO!

DonnaH123
Newly Registered

LOL, I just ordered a 5lb jug from Amazon!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”