Ava

Pepper seeds germinated far too early...?

I decided to try planting some bell (sweet) pepper seeds - from a store-bought bell pepper - as I really love red peppers. Sowed them on the 11th and quite a few have germinated. From what I could find online, it should have taken 7-14 days. So I can't understand why they germinated so early? Not that I'm complaining. But it's possible I may have mis-labelled them or something...

Oh, and I'm using the 'baggie' method. When should I be removing the bag?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Peppers can germinate in just a few days in ideal circumstances.

But was the bell pepper you bought at the store green? Green bells are unripe and the seeds in them are immature and not viable. If it was green bells, then I think your sprouts are something else. Grocery store red bell peppers are iffy, whether the seeds will germinate, because not vine ripened.

I would remove the bag and pot them up as soon as they have leaves (any leaves, not true leaves).

ruggr10
Green Thumb

In wet paper towels in baggies it takes me 2 days to germinate them.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Hmm I didn't know that about the green bells or think of it.
But I do have 2 green bell plants from store bbought green bell peppers.
Come to think of it do they sell green bell plants? Or seeds hmmm some thinks you don't bother remembering seeing.
Would a green bell come off a diffrent color then? Just picked early.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

green bells are just unripe red bells, picked early. Same plant. It's why the seeds from them are usually not viable, because the fruit hasn't ripened so the seeds are immature.

Richee

I believe the seed(s) growing could be the Bell Pepper.

They don't really need to ripen for the seeds to be viable, at least it's never been the case for me. My brother bought some green bells and planted the seeds, they grew. And people I know have taken seeds from Jalapenos (which are usually picked and eaten green) and those seeds grew as well.

Waiting for the pepper to ripen to red would get you a HIGHER germination rate, but a majority of the seeds should still germinate.

As for buying peppers from the store and taking the seeds out, they CAN grow in most cases, unless they've been through harsh radiation treatment. Even then some of the seeds may still grow, unless they're shriveled looking and black in color, then those seeds are no good.

I wouldn't give up on the seeds being from the Bell Pepper. I would transplant it to a pot and let it grow, then come back and post pictures of it here and we would know for sure if it's a pepper plant or not.

shadylane
Green Thumb

No doubt that they are Bell Pepper. I too have had success with store bought peppers, germinating and yielding. But having all types of hybrids out there available in the produce department, may not come true(this years pepper sown) as the one you took seed from. Or may not yield at all. If not this year it will show some oddity with-in three years. Green thumbs up, that is how most of us start.

Ava

It was a red pepper that I used the seeds from :)

Not sure I was clear regarding the bag - I have pots of soil enclosed in freezer bags. I've taken it off though.

Great, so, it might be the peppers :D I am a little worried at the number of seedlings though, not sure I planted that many seeds. I've taken a couple of photos which may help (below). If the seedlings aren't bell peppers, they're one of the following: Rosemary, Thyme, Basil, Dill or Calendula.

[img]https://img526.imageshack.us/img526/331/may20125774.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img576.imageshack.us/img576/3603/may20125775.jpg[/img]

Ava

Never mind. They're Dill. One has emerged with the seed case still attached.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”