SLC

How long can you leave your seedlings in a cell?

I have this kit, but only the 16 cell unit - same thing though.

https://www.burpee.com/seed-starting/32-xl-cell-eco-friendly-self-watering-greenhouse-prod001810.html

I planted them on April 7, and the tomatoes already look like this:

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/SecretlyLovesClay/Garden/P1080084.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/SecretlyLovesClay/Garden/P1080083.jpg[/img]

The cells are only like 2" x 2" x 2". The tomatoes are large already, but the rest are still small. How long can I leave the tomatoes in there? Can they grow much bigger in that cell or should I transplant them? The cilantro isn't that big, but roots are already coming out of the bottom. I also have cucumbers started in another kit, also with roots coming out of the bottom. I am not ready to plant outside yet. I am also kind of wondering for next year - if I should start even sooner. Is it okay for the roots to grow out of the bottom? They must like the self-watering mat, which I think works awesome. I cannot find a self-watering kit with bigger cells.

What should I do? How big can I let them grow in that tiny cell?

Also, see the onions in the picture below? I'm thinking they aren't doing too well. I planted those on March 31, so it's been 3 1/2 weeks, but I planted those in seed starting formula in bigger cells - no self-watering mat. Same with the lettuce in the front. The soil just seems to stay wet, and they don't seem to be growing - also, should they be flopping over like that? And the soil has mold or something on it. I don't know what to do! I am hoping to transplant next weekend.

Also, if you zoom in and look at the 2nd cell from the top, 2nd in from the right, there is a white onion sprout - what's up with that?

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/SecretlyLovesClay/Garden/P1080090.jpg[/img]

I don't know why the picture keeps coming out sideways, but you get the point!

applestar
Mod

Even though the tomatoes could grow in the 2x2 cell a little longer, you'll need to get them out of there because they are too tall relative to the other seedlings. Which means you are keeping the lights too far above the top of the foliage.

Actually, though those plant markers are nice, you need to stick them in diagonally as they, too are forcing you to put the lights up too high.

The condition of the lettuce clearly shows insufficient light. The moldy soil indicate too much moisture -- are you perhaps leaving water in the tray? -- and insufficient air movement. You'll need to correct all three -- light, moisture, air circulation -- very soon or these seedlings will damp off (get infected with a fungal disease). Lowering the lights will help dry off the surface of the soil somewhat.

Oh, the selfwatering mat -- although they are very nice for keeping the soil evenly moist, as you noted the seedling roots quickly grow out of the bottom and tend to get entangled in th capillary mat. Ths can lead to shock at planting time when you are forced to tear away a ignificant portion of the root system. One way to prevent ths is to periodically lift the containers nd intentionally break off the roots that have grown into th mat. By doing this, you can prune the roots and encourage side branching roots to grow inside the growing medium.

Cucumbers, squash, melons, etc. as well as beans and other plants that do not like their roots disturbed will not respond well to ths method and are not good to grow in this kind of self watering seed starting system. It's better to plant those seeds directly in the ground.

SLC

Thank you so much for your help!

I have another question - right now I have a 18 inch by 3 foot table with one 3 foot light on it - so if I lower the light to 2-3 inches above the plants, the seedlings that are out to the sides at the end of either side of the table (like at the 1-3 inch mark and 16-18 inch mark) won't get as much light, will they? Do I need buy another light?

FaTRippz

First of all usually more light the better.. and in my opinion your seedlings are looking a little skinny and streched out but don't worry light will help them fill out.. so more light would only help. .All the seedling can stay in the cells a little loner. the tomato is gonna need to be transplanted in about a week. but remember you want to plant your tomatoes deep. To answer your question I usually transplant when I see the roots growing long downwards and when I see roots coming out the sides. Ive never just grown one cilantro seed in a cell, I directly sow my herb seeds straight into where theyre going to be growing. Good luck and be confident in your grow.

SLC

Do you think it would be safe to start hardening them off now and plant outside in a week or so? Would that help?

FaTRippz

you can if you want, it up to you as long as its not too hot or too cold. youll be good

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”