PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Am I behind for zone 9/10?

I started some of my seeds around FEB 20. But everything got off toa slow start. I tried to do a wintersown method where you get containers, poke holes in the bottom and top, add seed starting mix etc. basically like mini greenhouses. For the most part everything sprouted.

Some things sprouted slowly though, mostly the warm weather stuff. I kept everything outside and had it in a position where it got some morning sun but rest of the day in shade. I lost some plants to bug attacks and the rest seemed to be growing too slow. So I bought a light to grow the peppers and tomatoes indoors.

The light has helped a lot but still think my plants are on the small side. I was planning to have my peppers and tomatoes in the ground right about this time. Most of my tomatoes are about 8 inches or so, and most my peppers are around 4-6 inches. I am gonna leave them under the lights until May 1st, then give them about 10 days outside to harden off, then into the ground. I am just thinking though I am a little late, but not too late. Or maybe I am right on time? What is the usual planting time into the ground for people in zone 9/10 for these plants? I am hoping they are a good enough size by the time I plan to put them in the ground.

Next year all warm weather stuff will be under the lights. But cold weather stuff I will start the wintersown method.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It sounds like your plants are a good size to be transplanted right now, if weather conditions are right (and after hardening off of course). If weather cooperates they might not need 10 days of hardening off, more like 5 or 6. But that's if you have mild weather and don't have to keep bringing them back indoors.

I think you are doing fine...

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”