sammyyummy

Successful germination but sprouts dying

Hi. I'm new here and to gardening. Recently I sowed zinnias and cosmos and germinated successfully. After the sprouts grew to about 1 inch, they began to lean sideways then eventually wilted. I place them on windowsills with good sunshine, not to severe, and good air circulation. No pests or molds. I monitored the soil and kept it moist. I'm on my third batch and they are beginning to do the same. Please help. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.[/img]

soil
Greener Thumb

I'm going to say not enough light, and possibly too much water.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I'm going to agree with soil here on this... probably a combination of the 2

SPierce
Greener Thumb

What type of soil & pots do you have them in?

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

it's not so much the soil or pots being used since he/she is only germinating not transplanting as of yet - the soil would be more of a concern if it was after they were transplanted... even then I would say it was a water/light issue soil mentioned.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Ruffsta wrote:it's not so much the soil or pots being used since he/she is only germinating not transplanting as of yet - the soil would be more of a concern if it was after they were transplanted... even then I would say it was a water/light issue soil mentioned.
I suppose people do start seeds different ways- I start mine directly in soil and plastic pots, so was thinking along those lines. I didn't know if maybe they had peat pots that could be the cause of the problem, or something along those lines

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”