dtlove129

Hardening Off question

Is it normal for your plants to look pretty bad during this phase? I assume they would look a little beat up and droopy since their environment has changed drastically. Didn't know if I should leave them in for a couple of days and "baby" them again until they look stronger before going back out for some time.

They got hit pretty hard yesterday with wind because the forecast was saying out of the NW, but for most of the day I would say it came out of the West and I had them protected for NW winds but not straight W winds.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I'm encountering the same issues with mine- no, it isn't normal for them to be droopy, and I would personally bring them inside for them to recover and look better, which is what I did for mine. I'm actually pretty surprised they recovered from the nasty winds they ended up in! I've already got some lower growth of them that looks dead from putting them out to harden off too early.

When I harden off, I need to go in half days (put them out before work, bring them in after work) so they've got no choice but to tough it out, since I cant' make it home during lunch. I've got them out again this morning after a 2-3 day recover, so here's hoping that they look OK when I get home!

dtlove129

SPierce wrote:I'm encountering the same issues with mine- no, it isn't normal for them to be droopy, and I would personally bring them inside for them to recover and look better, which is what I did for mine. I'm actually pretty surprised they recovered from the nasty winds they ended up in! I've already got some lower growth of them that looks dead from putting them out to harden off too early.

When I harden off, I need to go in half days (put them out before work, bring them in after work) so they've got no choice but to tough it out, since I cant' make it home during lunch. I've got them out again this morning after a 2-3 day recover, so here's hoping that they look OK when I get home!
Same boat here. I don't go home at lunch either. So what they get in the morning is what they will get until I get home. The only thing that scares me about mine being inside for a couple of days is that they really can't get any light besides a little that comes off the sides of my flourescents. I don't have room for them back in my greenhouse set up because of the other seedlings I have coming in that probably need the light more than the larger ones. I'm just hoping they do alright recovering.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not normal to be droopy and sad looking. Wind is the worst for tender plants just going out, dessicates them and beats them up. If you can't bring them back in, arrange for more protection - find a corner to put them protected from the wind or cover them.

For me, since I also have a job to go to, hardening off is all about placement. I bring them out to very protected spots (starting with under a garden bench with fence behind them, where they are protected from wind and direct sun) and gradually move them to less and less protected spots.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I actually have a different hardening off situation than you do; as I don't start under lights but all my seedlings grow in a south facing window. Which means they're already used to sunlight- I just need to get them used to the temps and winds. I put them out for hardening on my front porch, on spot that gets sun for 7+ hours from the morning till the time I get home.

I hope you're able to nurse your plants through so that they make it :D Give them time to recover inside, then gradually try and put them out from there.

applestar
Mod

Done correctly, the seedlings should look better and stronger as they acclimate to better/fuller light their outer cells (skins) toughen up from gradual exposure to cold as well as heat, and their stems stiffen up and become sturdier as they build wind resistance.

I CAN be home all day, but I don't have time to bother moving them in and out or from place to place through the day. So I also start out in very protected location all day, leaving them out all night when it's not too cold, and gradually getting them to acclimate to the great outdoors.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”