manny

Frost question/Pepper seedling coloring questions.

We have a frost warning/advisory for tonight. I have Onions n Garlic(these should be fine, I understand) Sugar snap peas, broccoli, and tiny tiny iceberg lettuce seedlings just emerging. I think all but the seedlings will be fine from what I've read/heard. I am wondering about the tiny lettuce seedlings should I maybe cover them up? What if I just coverthem up with more dirt?

My next questions involves my tiny (indoor) jolokia/ghost pepper seedlings. They are so so SLOW growing they are about 2 weeks old and still don't have any signs of true leaves. They look fine sturdy and not leggy at all but they are turning a very dark purple. I am only somewhat alarmed since some of my bell peppers are also a bit pink just wondering if I should be more worried than I am?

TCHarris32

I'm a newbie myself do take this for what it's worth. My 8 year old grew a green bell pepper plant over the winter in his own hydro bucket. I about freaked when the first leaves (cotyledon), I think thats right, turned purple as could be. Once the true leaves started showing, they were green and healthy. Just wait it out and you should be fine. I believe it is the plant using ye nutrients out of the first leaves that changes them color, think fall time and the trees turning color.

manny

awesome thanks. Maybe I can send your boy one of my seedlings for him to grow for me. a friend started out with 12 seeds a few years back and ended up with 2 plants. I hope I can get atleast 1 or two to bear some worlds hottest peppers for me to eat!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”