brandon558
Cool Member

seed life?

I have several packs of seeds that wont get planted this year....is there anything to do to keep them fresh? I have heard people freezing them, is this my best bet?

Any type of seeds not worth saving for next year?

Thanks

brogz

If you still have them in the package its fine you can keep them in there if not just put them in an envelope and tape it to make sure they won't get out of the envelope. Then if your worried about any bugs or any types of pests pop them in the freezer for 2 days. After that store them some where dry.
This is the way I was taught to do it for garden seeds last year. Just remember the longer you keep the seeds the less of a chance that they will germinate.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Most seeds will last for several years. Store them in dry paper envelopes. I have kept mine in the freezer or the refrigerator, seems to work fine either way. Sometimes I have had less viability with just storing them at room temp. I think they dry out more that way.

After a few years some seeds will get less viable, which just means your germination rate goes down. But seeds recovered from ancient burial sites have been known to sprout after thousands of years.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

The key is keep them out of the light and keep them dry. The rule of thumb that seed growers use is that you about double the germination time for every 10 degrees and 10% that you lower for the seeds. Freezing doesn't work well with some seeds. It is best to put them in a tight fitting container in paper packages. In that container put a desicant pack from a bottle of over the counter meds, to keep the humidity down.
Warning there are a few seeds that just don't store from year to year very well. Root parsley, parsnip to name a few. If you are talking beans, tomatoes, peas, carrots etc they will store just fine until next year.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”