GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

golden zucchini and cucumbers also caulflower and broccoli

I mixed these two up there both about to get there true leafs. Some have some any way to tell them apart?
Last edited by GardenGnome on Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

cucumber leaf

[img]https://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/vegetabl/images/large/cucumberleaf7.jpg[/img]

zucchini leaf

[img]https://images.flowers.vg/1024x768/zucchini-leaves.jpg[/img]

Once they have true leaves, you will be able to tell; the zucchini leaves are rounder, the cuke leaves pointier/ more angular.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Thanks I was hoping for some pics.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Those look like they were grown on the ground. Could I do that or groww them on wire fencing?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

either way. Trellising saves garden space and may help protect the zukes from the dreaded squash vine borer.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Should I Trellis both then? Would zukes gorw ok that way?

applestar
Mod

My impression is that cukes are climbers (I Actualy can't imagine not trellising them though I realize you can -- but with my muggy humid summers, trellising helps reduce powdery mildew), but zukes are more like tanks -- they crawl over any obstacles. Their hollow stems topped with big floppy leaves are prone to getting bent. I haven't tried trellising them but the most I can imagine is a gentle arch of wire fencing for them to climb over, not up.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Ill just have to wait abit longer before planting. So I can tell which is which thanks for the tips.

jnunez918

rainbowgardener wrote:help protect the zukes from the dreaded squash vine borer.
On that note....a couple of my cuke stems look like dry rot, is that a vine borer???

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

What about caulflower and broccoli sprouts. Lol I had a lot of plants for my first year inside starts.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh man, be more careful with labels next time :) That's a tough one since broccoli and cauliflower are so closely related. I think once they get bigger, the cauliflower leaves have more prominent mid-ribs:

cauliflower leaf
[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/4251922560_8fb089a985.jpg[/img]

broccoli leaf
[img]https://images.flowers.vg/1024x768/broccoli-leaves.jpg[/img]

but it may take awhile before these differences are apparent.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Are you just starting broccoli and cauliflower now? Seems a bit late for it. Won't it be warming up soon where you are? My broccoli has been in the ground about a month and is getting ready to make heads.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I have mine in cups for the past months there still pretty small. Guess I went past planting time. There only a inch or two tall is that cause there still in cups?
Should I just compost them? I have spinach.lettuce,lettuce,cauliflower still in cups.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I have mine in cups for the past months there still pretty small. Guess I went past planting time. There only a inch or two tall is that cause there still in cups?
Should I just compost them? I have spinach.lettuce,lettuce,cauliflower still in cups.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Something didn't go right if they've been planted for "months" and are only an inch or two tall. May have to give up on them; at this point it doesn't seem like they are likely to do much.

These are broccoli seedlings somewhere between 3 and 4 weeks after the seeds were planted:

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/broccoli_seedlings.jpg[/img]

They were at least 4 inches tall at that point.

The problem wouldn't be because they are in cups. The ones pictured were in 3" pots and they stayed in those until they went in the ground, at which point they were twice as big.

Spinach and lettuce I usually just plant the seeds directly in the ground.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

My wife said to just plant them ill stick them in a idk spot. Next year will be on time .
I had them in a seed starting mix for awhile. So no food and root space.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

My wife said to just plant them ill stick them in a idk spot. Next year will be on time .
I had them in a seed starting mix for awhile. So no food and root space.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”