AM_16

Maybe I should just give up and not bother. I don't have the proper set ups, don't have the money for proper set ups and cannot seem to get things right. Maybe gardening isnt for me :(

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I will say that doing that would be a shame.

I am fortunate to have the seeds for a tomato my grandmother grew in her garden 75 years ago. She lived to be over 90 and died about 20 years ago. The other grandmother, I lived with when I was just a tiny kid. She introduced me to gardening. She has been gone for nearly 60 years.

Both those grandmothers grew into adulthood on farms without electricity. Gardeners have been around a lot longer than electric lights. AM, you have a really nice plant room and a grandmother who takes an interest in what you are doing.

Steve

AM_16

Yeah but I want my plants to thrive and grow etc. I can only really give them what sun we get outside and a few hours under the lamp if its crappy outside.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

The bulb might say what it is for. You plant to get 8 hours of daylight you need to run the light 16 hours. Most people use the lights to get the seeds to sprout then move them outside when the time is right you must have a summer. I've read that people grew plants with basic lights also. You can get 4 foot bar lights in the U.S for $10 or less. At walmart idk if you have them there. Don't give up there's always a way.

AM_16

Well what I was planning to do is in April/May is leave them in full sun outside and bring them into the sun room at night as it still gets cold at night.

If I leave them outside during the day whats the temperature that would be best? Right now the highest we have been getting it 50 degrees. In a few weeks it should start hitting 60 and up. I just don't want to freeze the poor little sprouts haha

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

My greenhouse has a heater these last several years, AM. Overnight, I set the thermostat so that it is about 60ºF or a little less. That's 15ºC.

The plant starts will go out into the most protected part of my yard. And, I will try to wait until the change from indoor temperature isn't more extreme than from day to night if they were just to remain indoors. They get "pushed" a little later but I try not to do that at first.

So, when it is about 15ºC, out they come to sit in a quiet location and look around :wink: . Only for a few hours and then back they go indoors.

There is a tree that leafs-out quite late in the spring that sits just south of the steps leading from my deck. The tree provides a little filtered shade beside the deck steps and the steps provide some protection from the wind. It's my "sweet spot" for plant starts in the yard :) .

After a week or so, they might be anywhere that it is sunny and I may "push" them outdoors before it is 15ºC or even, very close to it. But, the first few days that they are venturing out - they get coddled.

Steve

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”