GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

If you read that bag it says (soilless). That is great to start your seeds.
Each seed has stuff to live off for while then it will soil something to feed it.

applestar
Mod

It looks like you have the same 2' system I do, and ran into the same problem I did two years go. I posted my solution here:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112445#112445

And photo of finished modification here:

:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112890#112890

Ther rest of that thread is full of good suggestions from the rest of the community too. :wink:

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Ahhh I see my probelm. Thank you GG!

Applestar. I think Ill need to run out and grab a second light balast to help out. I am then going to raid the basement and see if I can find some mirrors for the back walls to help with the reflection.

Applestar if I get the second balast do you think I will have room to pot my herbs and keep the pepper plants where they are (the ones in the red cups)

I also need to continue to play jenga .

applestar
Mod

I'm not sure. It all has to do with the heights you are dealing with. The mirrors on the wall should help, and they're not pretty but I use aluminum pans along the sides and inside of chip bags curtain the front so I don't see any part of of the light tubes. They really do make a difference.

Also, a revolutionary idea -- the light doesn't HAVE to hang level: I.e. one end could be higher than the other.... :o

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Whaaaaaaaaa not level?!?!?!? I work with Engineers whom would DIE if they heard that. luckily I am an Environmental Biologist and love disorder. I am going to have to figure to get some reflective surfaces in there to help out.

If it does not look good my wife would probably not enjoy it too much. My grow op is in the spare room that gets heavy traffic as we seem to be home base for our entire family when they travel.

time to get creative!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”